Chapter 30

'Nicholas, I have something to tell you.'

'Mmm,' he mumbled, only paying half attention to her as he was occupied otherwise, kissing the sensitive area behind the ear.

'Nicholas!' What started as a complaint ended as a moan.

He let out an exasperated breath as though Emma was making him do an unpleasant chore by asking him to stop kissing her.

'Nicholas!' she complained, this time giggling. But she couldn't help herself and started kissing him.

'I didn't start it this time,' he said between kisses.

'I can't help it when you look like that.'

He was just getting started for round two when the doorbell rang. Nicholas didn't seem to care.

'Nicholas, the bell!'

'They will leave when no one answers.'

The bell rang insistently.

'Who in the blazes is calling on me today?' He continued with well-chosen swear words that would have made any sailor proud. He pulled on his breeches and shirt, just doing a few buttons. Emma hurriedly slipped into her dress.

Mrs. Dennis came rushing, she blushed and averted her eyes when she saw Lord Nicholas in a semi-dressed state.

'Lord, I will see who it is and ask them to call on some other day.'

'No, Mrs. Dennis, I will see. What was so important that Jeffris let anyone in, much against my command. You should help Emma.'

When Mrs. Dennis saw Emma, she turned deep red. Emma was in a similar semi-dressed state, her hair messy and her lips swollen. One didn't have to guess what they were doing. She helped fix Emma's appearance as best as she could.

The mess in the room was beyond help. One of Emma's stockings was hanging by the lamp, socks and Nicholas' underwear were strewn everywhere.

'What the hell was so important to disturb me today?' Nicholas shouted as he opened the door.

'Hello,' answered a woman's voice.

'What are you doing here?' said Nicholas angrily.

'Won't you invite me in, Nicholas?' she asked.

'It's Lord Advent to you,' he spat.

She ignored him and brushed past inside.

'Your Grace, I am sorry. I didn't know what else to do,' pleaded Jeffris apologetically.

'So you are Lady Emma, the new Duchess of Watford,' said the stranger.

'You don't have the worth to utter her name, now get out of my house,' shouted Lord Advent. Nicholas yanked Emma behind him and stood protectively.

Once again she ignored Nicholas and spoke to Emma, 'I haven't introduced myself, I am Elana. Nicholas' first wife.'

Emma was trying to comprehend what was happening. Lady Elana died in an accident, didn't she? But the lady in front of her claimed to be Lady Elana and she indeed looked like Amelia.

'Oh, Nicholas! You are finally in love,' she said smiling.

'Didn't you hear me? Get out of my house.'

'I am here for my daughter.'

'You are not meeting any of them. I helped you on one condition, you never return to England. You are dead to us.'

'Nicholas,' on seeing his glare, she paused, 'Lord Advent, I see you are very much in love with your wife. At least now you know how I felt and why I did.'

'What you did was not love,'

'I want to meet Amy and take her with me.'

'Mrs. Dennis, take Emma to our chamber. Jeffris, fetch Rame immediately.'

Both hurried to carry out his orders. Mrs. Dennis pulled Emma along, and the last thing she saw was Nicholas and Lady Elana standing alone in the living room.

Emma collapsed when she reached their room. Mrs. Dennis caught her before she fell and helped her to a couch.

Emma was trying to work through the unanticipated turn of events. Was Emma's marriage valid anymore? What would follow Lady Elana's return? Amelia, Amanda and Amy would always choose their mother over Emma any day.

'Here, drink this,' Mrs. Dennis offered water.

'Mrs. Dennis, what's happening? I thought Lady Elana was no more.'

'Your Grace, I am unsure if I can talk about this. It's not my place.'

'Please, I got to know,' Emma continued pleading. 'Is our marriage even valid?'