Chapter 29

Nicholas was unsure if he was a romantic, but being in love with Emma made him want to do things just to see her smile. She was perfect in every way; a perfect mother to his daughters; a perfect wife; a perfect duchess. She warmed his heart by the day and his bed by the night.

'Good morning, my love,' he kissed her awake. She used to be the first one to wake up but since last week she has been sleeping more than usual.

'Mmm,' she mumbled as she sleepily nuzzled closer to Nicholas. He kissed her forehead and chuckled at her snoring. He held her and basked in the warmness of her embrace. When she was finally awake, it was already half-past nine.

'Why didn't you wake me?' she scolded him.

'You were sleeping peacefully, I didn't want to disturb you.'

She pouted. He kissed the corner of her lips and said, 'Happy anniversary, dear.'

She smiled and wished him the same.

'Come, let's bathe,' he said, holding his hand out.

'Together.' she said, blushing deeply.

He gathered her in his arms and carried her to the bathroom.

'I ordered a bath three hours ago. It might have gotten cold now.'

'You could ask the footmen to bring some hot water,' Emma suggested.

He ignored her suggestion and climbed into the tub, 'It's bearable.'

'Strip!' he commanded and stripped off his clothes.

'What!?' She felt shy. The thought of stripping herself in front of him made her cheeks warm.

'Come on, love,' he coaxed. He helped her out of her dress and gave her a bath. She was sure they would make love, but he just wrapped her in a towel and carried her to the dressing room.

'What are you pouting about?' he asked.

'Nothing,' Emma said, embarrassed by her errant thoughts. Was she being a wanton?

He helped her into a new day dress. He just wore his breeches and a shirt. He offered his hand.

'Wait, I got you a present,' Emma said and gave him a crafted steel pen.

'I got something for you too, dear.'

He handed her a jewellery box which had a beautiful ring. 'It was my mother's wedding ring. I am sure she would want you to have it.'

'Nicholas, it's gorgeous!'

He slipped the ring into her finger before kissing her. Emma kept staring at the ring as they descended to the dining room.

'My gift feels so thoughtless and insignificant, I should have bought you something better,' she confessed.

'You don't have to, but I have a perfect idea for how you could make up.'

On her questioning look, he pulled her to his lap as he settled in at the dining table.

'Feed me.'

'Nicholas, someone might walk in.'

'No one will.'

'How can you be sure?'

'Because I have given everyone the day off.'

Emma looked at him with open-mouthed astonishment.

'I am waiting,' he said, opening his mouth. She giggled and started feeding him. She fed him and he fed her, occasionally stealing food from her mouth or making her giggle.

'Is this why you sent the girls to your sister's house?' Emma asked after a while.

'I might have written to her and insisted on how much they miss their aunt.'

'You are such a -' instead of finishing her sentence, she kissed him.

Abandoning the food, he carried her to the living room, which offered a plush sofa with comfortable cushions. He rained kisses on her and started undressing her.

'Perhaps, we should continue this in our chamber,' Emma suggested in a panicked voice.

'The reason I sent everyone is to make love to you anywhere and everywhere,' he said.

'Nicholas!' It was half a complaint and half a plea.

'What do you want, little wife?'

'You.'

He captured her lips in a searing kiss. He wanted to make due with his promise.