Chapter 25

Even after spending most of the morning with his wife, Nicholas still hadn't got enough of her. He sat in his club with the Paulen duo, wishing he just stayed back at home.

'Oh! Someone misses his wife and wishes he was there with her instead of the present company,' Marcus said, eyeing Nicholas.

Nicholas rolled his eyes, refusing to be baited.

'I am just happy you finally found love and happiness,' commented Lord Wincent Paulen.

Nicholas realized he indeed was in love with Emma. He felt bad for not expressing his feelings for her. He stood up abruptly.

Marcus chuckled and said 'If you are going to confess, you shouldn't do it in a hurry. At least, buy her some flowers or chocolate or both.'

To Nicholas' horror, he found himself blushing. It was embarrassing. He rushed to the toilet before he could be embarrassed any further. Thankfully, they didn't breach the subject after that.

Nicholas wanted to confess his feelings for his wife, but as Marcus said he shouldn't rush. Emma never experienced a proper proposal from him. There wasn't an engagement ring. She didn't even have the choice of picking her own wedding ring, hell! He had made Rame buy it. He has been the most inconsiderate husband.

Emma returned home after shopping with Amelia

Emma returned home after shopping with Amelia. It was twice as daunting as her usual shopping trips. Amelia threw a fit at the modiste, made one of her assistants cry and nearly pricked Emma with a pin. The modiste was happy to finally see them leave.

Emma slumped on the chair in the living room and ringed for tea. The town's worst gossipmonger was at the shop and witnessed Amelia's tantrums. Also, they weren't able to find anything suitable for Amelia to wear, necessitating another visit. Emma had a throbbing headache trying to decide which scenario was the worst.

The maid entered with a tea tray, looking like she was suppressing a giggle. Emma was too preoccupied with worries about Amelia.

When she took her cup from the saucer, she noticed a small folded piece of paper hidden beneath the cup.

Emma's headache was soon forgotten; she loved mysteries. Her father made her do many things like this. Cracking coded letters was their favourite pastime. She smiled, recognising the message. It was too simple.

She stood up and held the message in front of the mirror, it read

She recognised the handwriting, it was Nicholas. The excitement kicked in. This was just like the treasure hunts she did with her father. When she entered her chamber she was surprised to find Mary waiting for her. There was a dark blue dress laid out, with a jewel box on top of it.

Emma opened the box with a trembling finger, it had a diamond necklace with matching studs. There was another letter folded neatly beneath it. It read

QIIXQIMRKEVHIR

You are the key. I will be waiting.

The actual message was coded, but to decode any hidden message you need a key. She was the key? She sat contemplating for a long time. Her father's advice was to use trial-and-error methods if she wasn't sure of the encryption method used.

She wrote the alphabets and below wrote her name followed by alphabets.

Replacing the letters with their counterparts, she got

QIIXQIMRKEVHIR

MEETMEINGARDEN

'Meet me in garden,' she read out loud.

'Did you say something, Your Grace?' Mary asked.

'Are you done, Mary?'

'Almost, Your Grace.'

Emma was itching to run. Nicholas was waiting for her. She can't keep him waiting now that she knew where he was.

'Done, Your...' before Mary could finish, Emma was up in a flash and out of the room. She was almost running. But when she reached the garden she felt oddly hesitant and shy.

She walked out to find Nicholas standing there looking stunning in his peacock-blue coat and matching breeches. Her heart was in her throat as she looked at him. She slowly edged closer to him. His eyes never left her.

When she stepped closer, rose petals cascaded down from the top. When she looked back at him, he was down on one knee. He slowly took her hand and kissed her knuckles.

'Emma Advent, I love you. Will you accept my heart?'

Tears were flowing down her cheeks as she nodded.