prologue

[pre season 5]*

[pre season 5]
*.·:·. .·:·.*

Rose Valia was shaken awake from her short nap. "What?" she said groggily, not wanting to open her eyes.

        "Rosie, wake up," her best friend, Deke Shaw, said standing over her.

        Rose sighed and opened her eyes, seeing the blurry face of Deke's inches away from hers. "What?" she repeated, not wanting to leave her comfortable position in her bunk. "If this is another problem with your virtual reality world thing, I'm not helping. I told you before I don't like that thing."

        "Hey!" Deke said very offendedly. "The framework brings me a lot of business, and it's not weird, it's more of an escape."

        Rose waved off his comments lazily, "I never said it was weird, I just said I don't like it," she correct him.

        "But your tone of voice suggested you thought it was weird," Deke insisted.

        Rose sat up in her bunk, "I wouldn't call something that you made weird, Deke," she said seriously.

        He shook his head, "That's not true, Rosie" he said definitively pointing at her. "You called my haircut weird that one time."

        Rose scoffed, surprised he brought that up again, "Okay, that doesn't count," she said laughing. "I was fourteen, and you took a pair of scissors to your hair and started chopping away. Your hairline was literally uneven, what else was I supposed to say?"

        "That it looked good," Deke started letting his hands fall to his sides.

        "Then I would've been lying," Rose said in a singsong voice. "I wasn't gonna let you run around looking like you had just fallen into a paper shredder."

        "Okay, it didn't look like that," Deke defensively standing back up again, letting Rose hop off of her bunk.

        Rose leaped off of her bunk and lightly landed on her feet, "It did, it really did Deke," she said truthfully. "Anyway, what did you come to talk to me about?" she said throwing on her utility jacket that was hanging on her bunk post.

        Deke clapped his hands together, "Oh right," he said quickly. "Virgil, he didn't show up for the meeting we had. He was gonna fly me out on the trawler today. But when I got to the dock, he wasn't there."

        Rose raised her eyebrow, 'It wasn't like Virgil to be late to arrangements he had. Especially if it involved flying the trawler. He loved showing off his piloting skills to his friends on the lighthouse.' She tried to rack her brain to think of why Virgil wasn't there. "Hmmm," she said deep in thought. "Maybe he had a bad run-in with the blues? You know how he gets, all worked about the future, especially about the prophecy."