Chapter Twenty-Eight: Regretful Behavior

TW: mention of abuse

Annabeth stared at the seat that had once been occupied by Remus. She was suddenly much more aware of the cold air that surrounded her and could feel her body stiffen.

" What just happened?" she whispered to herself.

The young witch tried to move on foot in front of the other but she seemed to be stuck right where she was. She felt the hot tears leave her eyes and slowly fall down her red cheeks. Nothing made sense in this moment.

"Anna?"

Sam's voice broke her out of her trance as she felt her best friends hand rest softly on her shoulder. Her legs gave out and if it weren't for Sam, she would have fallen to the floor.

All that could be heard from the surrounding cabins was the sobbing that came from Annabeth Prewett and the soft shushing that came from Sam.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

" Are you mad?!" shouted James as soon as his eyes landed on Remus.

Sirius sat in the corner staring at his hands as he mumbled to himself at a fast pace. Every so often, he would look up at Peter and give him a look of pure hatred.

Remus had no response. He knew that none of them would ever understand, he didn't expect them to. Why should he trap Annabeth when Peter could never hurt her the way he had? Peter wouldn't put her safety in danger just by being himself. Nobody would, only he had the power to do that.

" I mean seriously? You have been chasing after her forever, Moony! Who cares if Peter feels this way?!"

James slowly turned his body towards the rat boy before finishing his thought.

" You. You idiot! What in Merlin's name has gotten into you? Do you seriously think you have a chance with Annabeth?! I'm sorry mate but someone needs to tell you that you don't." shouted James, his face turning dark red with anger

The group went silent, all except for Sirius. The boy was still sat in the corner mumbling to himself, words that nobody could make out.

" Padfoot?" whispered Remus

Sirius stopped. He plastered a smile on his face as he looked up at his friends. His eyes were wide and held an emotion that the boys had never seen before. His nostrils were flared as his leg tapped anxiously, going a mile a minute.

The rest of the Marauders sat in shock as they saw their friend slowly grow angrier and angrier.

" I have nothing to say" spoke Sirius in a scarily calm voice.

Peter scooted as far away from Sirius as possible as James slowly approached him.

Remus stood still.

" Sirius? What's going on?" asked James in a hushed tone

Sirius just shook his head before he was taken into a violent fit of laughter. His nose crinkled and his black eyes were closed tight as his laughter filled the air. His head flew back and his dark, long hair cascaded down his back.

" Nothing is going on! I- I" the boy's laughter was so strong that he could barely even get a sentence out.

Annabeth and Sam heard this laughter from the other side of the train, confusion wasn't even the word.

" Should we go check it out?" asked Annabeth, sniffling as she spoke

Sam was hesitant for he knew that laugh. The last time he heard that laugh was when Sirius had left his home in the middle of the night after his father had beat his younger brother, Regulus.

///////////////////////////

Sam lay in his bed when he heard a loud crack from the other room. He grabbed his wand and briskly made his way to the room, hoping to get there before his father.

He opened his bedroom door and there he was.

Sirius lay on the floor, doubled over in laughter

" Sirius, be quiet!" urged Sam as he grabbed his boyfriend to drag him into the other room

Sirius's laughter boomed through the house and Sam starting giggling along with him. His laugh had always brought a smile to the boys face.

Sam's laughter stopped as quickly as it had begun when he noticed the blood coming from Sirius's eyebrow.

" Bloody hell, Sirius. What happened?" asked Sam with nothing but worry behind his voice.

He sat Sirius on his bed and performed a silencing charm on his bedroom to ensure his father wouldn't hear them.

Sirius's laughter soon turned to tears as the realization hit him. His tears turned to sobs when he looked to his right and didn't see Regulus beside him.

" Where is he? Where's Reggie?! He was supposed to come here with me. No, no, no... I have to go. I have to find Reggie!" screamed Sirius frantically

" Sirius, sit down. You're hurt" demanded Sam. He wrapped his arms around the frantic boy as he searched for his wand.

Sirius fought against the grip of Sam but it was no use, his body was too weak from the apparition. Sirius slowly dropped to the floor, Sam going down with him.

The pair sat on the floor holding each other, taking in the presence of the other.

Sirius found immense comfort in this position and relaxed into Sam's arms. As much as he tried to hide it, Sam was full of concern and worry as he held his crying lover.

" Sirius, my love, please tell me what has happened to you." pleaded Sam.

As Sirius heard these words, the prior events replayed in his mind.

Regulus and Sirius had been in the dining room together when their parents arrived home. Even though they tried to run to opposite sides of the room, Orion Black had already seen the two together.

" Regulus, what do you think you're doing?" his deep voice echoed throughout the home.

Before the young Slytherin could even answer, he was struck with the Cruciatus curse. His screams of agony filled Sirius's ears as he tried to reach for his brother.

Sirius was one step from Regulus before Walburga entered the room.

" You've done enough, you blood-traitor" spat his mother.

As Sirius went to speak, his mother struck him with the same curse. The pain had became bearable for Sirius after experiencing it so many times

After an hour or two, the boys were finally released from their parents abuse. Regulus's eyes stung with tears as blood leaked from his ear.

Sirius felt his heart break at the sight of his little brother.

"Reggie?" whispered Sirius

Regulus just shook his head and slowly made his way to his bedroom with Kreacher following closely behind.

A/N: Long time no see! I am so so sorry for the wait, I have had such bad writers block and slump. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, I'm still trying to get back into the flow writing :) I would love to hear what you all would like to see happen! I have lots of ideas now but I also want to make sure I am incorporating what you all would like to see