chapter 26

" you don't always need a plan

" you don't always need a plan. sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens. "

Chapter 26 - (British Accent) I Can't Believe You've Done This

America
roughly a month since the previous chapter, during the school week

      The return to school wasn't easy. It never would've been in a situation like the current.

      The rules had been established. The USSR had been my sworn enemy, yet now was the time to cosy up with his son. Upon his return? Of course, that hadn't been the truth. But the truth was a secret for Russia and me alone.

      It was hard to say we even knew each other in the first place.

      Of course, it wasn't as though all contact had been cut. There were attempts to meet as often as possible, but as the weeks passed, they became more infrequent and all the less bearable. In addition, there were attempts to call every weekend just so we could catch up on everything that had happened. We struggled to keep a schedule.

      School life was a similar story, if not more of a tragedy. What was I supposed to do, openly chat with him and act as if nothing happened? We'd pass in the hall and make quick eye contact, then look the other way and hope to avoid crossing paths in the hall again. It was sometimes easier to pretend the other never existed.

      We wouldn't dare risk it for our relationship.

      What bullshit. It was clear now, after the fall of everything. It was clear that he was so much more than a friend. An ache filled my heart every time I thought about him. It was also true that my heart raced when I thought about all the times I saw him a little less than fully clothed.

       It was a week that we weren't together. Then a month. Then the semester ended, and some classes changed around, and then I saw Russia even less; even fewer glances that had to convey everything within the span of a blink.

      Every period was a test of my will. It was pretty clear the first week back that everyone wanted to know what I was thinking. There wasn't a moment I wasn't either on edge or barely awake. Instead of tearing apart lines in poems, I couldn't help but find any little meaning in song lyrics to find some comfort.

      The teacher cleared their throat and redirected the class's attention to the board. They wrote out the pages for the homework on the side of the board, then sat down and started reviewing what would be happening the next few weeks. Something about a test and how the quarter was ending soon. It'd be three (3) minutes until lunch.