Chapter Twelve

"My heart talks about nothing but you."

- Unknown

Luna's POV

Sixteen Months Later

The small disk pendents on the end of my necklace warm as I rub my thumb and forefinger over them, anxiously darting my gaze between the TV and my phone. I've never been an overly patient person and time seems to be passing particularly slowly today. My parents and Oli's chat away only a few feet from me while I sit, anxiously waiting for his call.

He calls me before every game. He has to. It's part of his pregame ritual. And every time I have to tell him the exact same thing. Before, I would kiss his cheek too. I haven't been able to do that for four years now.

Oli's team made it to the finals. He made it to the finals during his senior year of college, and I could't be more proud of him. But I haven't been able to attend any of his games for the last four years. Only some of them are televised, more now that he's a senior. Today's game we'll be able to watch on TV. I'm so excited for him.

He's been drafted. He's been eligible for a few years and has had some offers, but he wanted to finish college.

He's going to be playing for the Lakers. The Lakers.

I couldn't be more proud of him. When I heard the news, I quite literally screamed. And cried. He's been waiting for this moment forever. His dreams are finally coming true.

I jump out of my thoughts when my phone begins to ring. I scramble to pick it up, quickly answering the call and pressing the phone to my ear as I stand and walk out into the hallway. "Oli?"

There's a heavy sigh of relief on the other side of the phone, "Hi, Little One."

I can't fight back my smile. Even though I'm sixteen and definitely not that little anymore, that nickname - and all of it's variations - hasn't changed. "You ready?" I ask, pacing nervously up and down the entranceway.

"Not really," He admits before backtracking, "No, I am. I've been training nonstop. The team's ready. It's just... A really big game."

"I know it is," I murmur. I take in a deep breath to calm myself. It's my job to keep him focused and ready before the game. That's why he calls me. As his best friend, I know better than anyone how to calm him and reassure him. "It's also your last game though, Oli. Enjoy it. Stay focused. You've done this a million times before. I know you've studied the other teams game tapes 'til your eyes turned square, so take a breath, please. I know you've got this."

He lets out a breath, "Yeah, I've got this. It's just a game of basketball. I could do it in my sleep."

I grin. "Exactly."

There's a couple shouts in the background on his end and then he says, "We're on in a couple minutes."

"Okay." I take a deep breath before saying the words I know he needs to hear. "You've got this, Oli. I love you."

"Thanks, Little Luna. I love you." The call ends and I let out a breath. The distance has just become harder and harder over the last few years. Oli's my best friend but the phone calls and texts don't feel the same as sitting with him and talking with him for hours.