Nova Stratford

June

This chapter and the next will be fully narrated by Kaiden.

My father and mother had quite the epic love story, surely one that's hard to live up to - so why would I even bother? Why chase inevitable heartbreak? And don't tell me it's because 'my soulmate is out there', that's a load of bullshit.

God created Adam and Eve and they doomed us for eternity, Zeus had the perfect life with Hera but he still couldn't keep it in his pants, Romeo and Juliet died for one another out of pure stupidity - do you see my point or should I go on?

"Your father and I were lucky to find each other and one day you'll find your forever person." My mother, Athena kisses my forehead, almost as if she was reading my mind and begging me not to be so cynical about love.

"Thanks ma, but I'm pretty happy with my life as it is. I wouldn't change a thing."

"What happened to my little boy that made paper rings and asked his best friend to marry him?"

"He was a 6 year old fool and she threw that paper ring back in my face."

At this point you're probably thinking 'ah that's why he's so crude about love, got his heart broken.'

"My flight leaves in an hour, say bye to dad for me." I get up and hug my mother, holding her tight against me just like I would do as a kid. A 9 hour trip awaited me and I couldn't wait to go back home.

Much later

"You've got to be kidding me, when I heard the staff whispering about you being back I thought they were imagining things." Jerome, my best friend stood at the doorway in shock.

"I was away for a week, I have work to catch up on. Money and power don't take vacations, nor do they come easy."

"You've being back less than an hour and you're already riding my ass. Come on, we're going out to meet a couple of pretty honey's and drink until we regret it."

"No, the last time we went out I woke up handcuffed to you in the middle of a freaking fountain."

"At least it was a broken fountain."

"So not the point Jerome."

"The Scarlett Devine models are in town and I have exclusive access to their private party."

"I'll meet you downstairs in a bit." I let out an exuberated sigh, knowing he wouldn't give up.

"Yes, you're the man." Jerome shouted and pointed finger guns at me before rushing back to his own office, leaving me with a few moments of peace.

Melody Nightclub

5 minutes and 21 seconds - that's all the time it took for Jerome to disappear into the crowd of beautiful women. I walked towards the bar, catching flirty smiles and not so innocent winks along my way.

A 6 foot Italian man in a power suit, with a fresh haircut and shaped beard - I was the prey here, surrounded by hungry lionesses who wanted to fuck a sexy foreigner, just to get it off their bucket list.

"So which do you prefer, a blonde, brunette or perhaps a red head?" A raven haired goddess sat next to me, her subtle features illuminated by the clubs fluorescent lights.

I take a strand of her hair and twirl it around my finger before leaning towards her ear and whispering,

"Definitely raven."