"I did it for love"

“Kaiden, what the hell is going on, where am I?” An aggravated Nova questioned, taken aback by her unfamiliar surroundings – clearly she was no longer in his bed.

Nova, calm down please and let me explain.”

“Nah, I’m getting the hell out of here.” Nova pushed past Kaiden towards the door, trying to pry it open.

“Why is the door locked? – Kaiden open the God damn door, I want to leave.”

Sweetheart you’re not yourself, you need help and this is one of the best treatment facilities in the country. I called in a few favours and got you into the programme – 6 weeks that’s all the time it will take.”

“Help? I don’t need help, I’m fine – I’m just angry that you basically kidnapped me in my sleep and brought me here, to a foreign place.”

You don’t need help? Nova you can’t stay still, your eyes have this primal look to them and I bet you can’t even taste the blood on your lips from chewing on them so ferociously. You will stay here and get the treatment you need – end of discussion.”

“I know my rights Kaiden, you can’t keep me here without my or a judges consent.”

Fight me on this then, because you will lose. I’m a very powerful man Nova – don’t you forget that.”

“Fuck you Kaiden, what about my life, my company?”

You didn’t seem to worry about all of that when you were with Johnny and as for your company, since it is a subsidiary of Romano Industries – I will personally be running it in your absence.

“I did it for you, I did it for love.” Nova gritted, her eyes becoming teary.

I know baby, now let me do this for you.” Kaiden pulled Nova towards him, holding her tightly against his chest, his own sight becoming a blur.

“I have to go now.”

“Don’t, please stay with me.” Nova pulls Kaiden back into her embrace

“I’ll see you soon Star.” He kissed Nova’s forehead before leaving her in tears.

A few days later

“Kaiden, open the door brother. I know we haven’t spoken much since the boardroom incident but I’m worried about you.” Jerome’s words were coated in poison, disguised as love.

“It smells like a distillery in here and for the love of God open some curtains will you.”

You’re giving me a headache.” Kaiden responds after letting a snake into his home.

“Are you sure it’s me and not those empty bottles of whiskey?”

“I presume you need something and this isn’t just a social visit.”

“Get in the shower, we have places to be.”

Kaiden may have been drunk, but he still knew Jerome could not be trusted – this was a classic example of keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Kaiden and Jerome sat across each other in awkward silence, browsing the menu of their local diner.

There’s something you should know.” Kaiden spoke with uncertainty as Jerome placed their coffee orders with the waitress.

“I hope it has to do with why you’re such a mess.”

Nova and I have been sleeping together behind your back.” Kaiden blurted out remorseful, yet knew exactly what he was doing.

“You fucking prick.” Jerome shouted, grabbing the attention of some nearby diners enjoying their meals.

“It was so wrong of us and believe me we are paying for it now.” Kaiden tried to clear his dirty conscious, little did he know Jerome had been a few steps ahead of him the whole time.

“I knew the two of you had a strange bond and I tried my best to show her that I was the better man – I guess at the end of the day we both lost her.” Jerome subtly poked at the fact that Nova had been with Johnny for weeks, knowing it would make Kaiden’s blood boil.

Well in the future, let’s try and not fall for the same woman.” Kaiden painfully joked.

“Did you love her?”

Isn’t love supposed to be born from something pure, not two people sneaking around and hurting those around them?”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

Before Kaiden could answer, a pair of familiar brown eyes caught his attention – prompting him to get up mid conversation and chase the fleeting beauty. He searched, called out for her but was met with nothing in return – maybe she had been a figment of his imagination.

“Are you alright? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Yeah, I’m fine – must have been one.” Kaiden sank into his booth, barely listening to Jerome’s jargon for the rest of their meeting.

Upon returning to his apartment alone, Kaiden found a neatly folded note taped to his door – which read,

‘It was great seeing you after all these years.’ – confirming his fears…

Jerome’s apartment

“Did you leave the note on his door like I said?”

“Of course I did.”

“Good and did anyone see you?”

“No, I made sure to use the side entrance just like you suggested – the buildings security could really do with some adjustments.”

“Not our problem babylove. Did you see the look on Kaiden’s face when you showed up at the diner, I swear he turned pale before running after you like some fool.”

“You really do want him to suffer.”

“When I’m done with Kaiden, he will be left with nothing and no-one.”

“What you do is your business, I just want to get paid and leave when this is all over.”

“You will and maybe I will join you wherever you’re going.” Jerome placed his hands on the woman’s waist, her face in disgust.

“Nice try, but I’m not into psychopaths. Now what’s our next move?”

“How good are you at making paper rings?”