Paranoia

Kaiden's p.o.v

I sat on the edge of my desk while Jerome paced around the room, playing with the material of his tie - both of us clearly in a state of angst.

Last night didn't end how either of us pictured it would, a fire consumed one of our pharmaceutical warehouses - leaving a trail of destruction in its path and a dead body with a message.

"When is your source getting here? We need to come up with a contingency plan to safe guard the company against Brutali Fuorilegge."

A knock on my office door had us standing to attention, I clearly knew who it was but Jerome was in for a shock.

"Come in."

"Nova?"

"Jerome?"

They both look at each other stunned, before turning to me.

"Please tell me she's not your informant." Jerome's voice faulted as he looked at me but I couldn't hold his attention, my eyes drifted over to Nova who cheekily smiled at me.

"She is."

"What? How? Did you know they were going to attack our warehouse last night?"

"I swear, I didn't." and I believed every word she spoke.

"That's not all, there was a body found in the debris with a note."

"Well? What did it say?"

"Here's your rat."

"Oh my God." Realisation must have hit Nova by the look on her face.

"Johnny called Cash a rat and told me he 'took care of him'."

"He must have thought Cash was the one who told me about their plans to steal from my company."

"Wait, Johnny as in the Capo of Brutali Fuorilegge? What the hell are you doing having conversations with him? And who the hell is Cash?" Jerome shouted towards Nova and I was ready to take him down a few pegs but to my surprise she held her own.

"You really want to know the truth? Cash was my drug dealer and he worked for Brutali Fuorilegge."

"For fucks sake Nova, don't you think this is something you should have mentioned to me and why the hell are you so casual about all this?"

Jerome turned to me expecting an explosive response but the truth is I put things together a while back - I found Nova's bottle of pills on my bedroom floor and from then on out things just fell into place.

"What Nova chooses to do is her own prerogative, she doesn't owe either of us anything."

"Oh okay but let me ask you this, what if Johnny sent her here to infiltrate our lives and trade him information for her next fix?" His point might have been valid but my gut told me to trust her.

"Wow, I can't believe you right now." Nova readied herself to leave my office but I chased after her.

"Stay." My hand engulfed her wrist.

"Why so I can continue to be insulted?" She bit, pulling her hand away from mine.

"Jerome you're being paranoid right now." I turned to my best friend, hoping to calm down the situation.

"Are you of all people seriously calling me paranoid after what happened last year?"

"Don't go there." My voice shifted into a deep growl, warning Jerome.

"What happened last year?" Nova queried, curiosity coating her words.

"Nothing." I answered, hoping she would let this go.