Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I stare at my sister with wide eyes and a rapid beating heart. She thinks... after all this time, she can just come back and explain?! Is she nuts? She has hurt me, Aiden and our pack. Both of them have. But nonetheless, she is my sister and I will give her the chance to explain. 

"What is your reason for betraying your family and pack?" I ask her, sitting down on the couch. Aiden still stands protectively in front of me but I grab his hand and nearly tug him down. He wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me as close to his as is allowed. 

"Summer, everything I told you before was a complete lie! I love you and I am so happy you had that baby... Well to a certain degree." Aiden snarls again and I place a hand on his thigh, hoping to calm him down. But her words didn't make me feel any better than before. Why would she say those things if they weren't true? "You see... I at first tried to convince you to dispose of the baby. And when you refused, I knew I could never come back..." I arch an eyebrow, growing more angry and curious at the same time. 

"What are you saying? Spit it out." Rain and Kyle exchange a glance. 

"I don't know why, but Catherine has been the center of attention since before you were even pregnant. Packs all over the world were waiting for you to have a baby. It had to be a girl though. If it was a boy, they would call off the hunt. Tarkington. the Colorado pack, was the strongest of the packs interested. What they have been wanting for is a female wolf to marry and mate the next heir." I feel my eyes widen as this. 

"I don't understand... They wanted us  to have a baby girl...so that they can take her and pair her off with the next heir?!" I scream. Rain winces and I grow even more furious that she would join a pack that would want this! 

"Yes. But listen! I join for a very good reason! I joined because I didn't want Catherine to get taken from you guys. Summer, you did so much for me! And I know that it is hard to raise me all by yourself, so I did something for you." I scrunch my eyebrows together.

"Betraying me and joining a pack that wants my baby isn't merely a favor." I bite out. Rain sighs and glances up at Kyle. He has a huge frown on his face, as if he was on the verge of tears.

"I joined the pack because I'm giving them our baby instead." Talk about a slap to the face. I have lean back when I hear her say this. Aiden lets out a low growl as he steps forward. "I promised them, that if you had a baby girl, that I would give them our child." Rain tells me. I feel my eyes water as I stare at my little sister.

"What?" Rain bows her head and I see her shoulders shake. Kyle holds her close, placing a kiss to the top of her head.

"We lost the baby. I'm so sorry, Summer. I am so sorry! I failed you. I failed my neice. I only wanted to protect her. But now, with no child, the Colorado pack is coming. Along with about ten others." Rain tells us. I glance over at Aiden with confusion written all over my face. 

"But why Catherine? Sure there is another werewolf baby girl somewhere else!" I cry. Rain frowns and Aiden turns to stare into my eyes. His were swarming with questions also. Rain's eyes flicker between us.

"You guys don't know?" She asks. 

"Know what?" 

"Summer. Catherine isn't just a werewolf. She's the Chosen." 

"Chosen? What's the Chosen?" I ask, biting my bottom lip as Aiden lets out a happy sigh. He hugs me and kisses the top of my head.

"The Chosen is a wolf that the Moon goddess sees as a eligible, powerful creature. She will have her first shift at the age of five. She will be bigger than all of us by the age of thirteen. The Moon goddess names the Chosen once every century. She bases her decision off of the parents, off how compatible we are. We have to be a set that has arguments and different view points but love each other enough to overcome those. Then she looks at the child in the womb. Werewolves don't usually get weak or tired during pregnancy, but the strength and roughness Catherine had while inside you, nearly killed you in childbirth. Last, she looks at the pack. Is the pack strong? Do we stick together no matter what?" Aiden glances over at Rain and Kyle. I expected him to give them a cruticial glare but instead he smiles. "Do they make huge sacrifices for the ones they love? That is why our daughter is the Chosen." He answers. As he says this, I know that tears are already pouring down my face.