Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Catherine plays with my fingers as she lays on her back and smiles up at me. I'm laying on my side, propped up on my elbow, watching her as she finds great fascination to my wedding ring. She twirls it around my finger numerous of times before she pulls my hand down to suck on my finger. Her teeth are still absent, so there was no pain. 

The love I have for my little princess seems to increase every passing minute. Every move and sound she makes brings a smile to my face. She truly is a precious gem. 

I make a silent vow that she will always be protected. They will never get their slimy hands on her, not while I'm still breathing. I may not be the strongest female wolf there ever was or will be, but let me tell you... If you threaten the people I love, I will rip you to shreds and personally deliver your body parts to your family members.

I hear the door open and can tell it's Aiden without looking up. I keep my eyes glued on my baby girl because I know if I look at Aiden, I'll break down into tears again. It seems like I'm always crying, no matter what. Sometimes, though rare, I cry happy tears. But most of the time I'm not and it frustrates me. I wish I could just be happy with Aiden and Catherine. I am happy with them... Until Aiden decides he must go on a suicide mission and abandon us. That's when it feels as if everything in my is crumbling. I cannot go on without my life partner by my side. 

"Summer..." He whispers. I tickle Catherine's belly and coo sweet words at her. I know I'm being a brat and melodramatic but I don't want him to see me like this. I don't want Catherine to see me so torn. She needs to remember her mother as a happy woman who was strong and never cried... 

Through my mind link, I call for Samantha. When the door opens seconds later, I crawl out of bed and take Catherine in my arms. "Summer, leave Catherine in here!" Aiden says in a low, dangerous voice. I ignore him and pass Catherine to Sammy. "Samantha..." He lets out a warning tone. 

"Go." I tell her, giving her an encouraging nod. She holds Catherine close and bolts away. I hear Aiden snarl. 

"She is my baby too!" He snaps. I spin to face and him glare.

"She needs her father, Aiden, I agree. But why have her fall for you if you're just going to leave her?" I ask and walk over to the bed, laying on the plush mattress and pillows. 

"That isn't what I am doing, Summer." He growls and walks over to sit on the bed with me. I turn my head to watch him, making sure he keeps a good distance. 

"No?" I question in a defeated voice. There was no use arguing with him anymore. Aiden says he is going to fight and girls are forbidden. So that's how is going to be. Except for the acception of Rain and myself...

"No. I'll be back." I scoff and roll my eyes. "Do you really have that little faith in me?" He asks, wounded. I roll over to glare at him.

"I have faith in you. But I also do know how incredibly strong the other packs are. They are ruthless and-"

"And so am I! Summer, this is our child we are talking about. I will lay down my life to protect-"

"EXACTLY!" I scream, getting on my knees and clenching my hands in fists. "You will kill yourself for her. But what about me? Don't I have a say in this?" I ask. Aiden arches an eyebrow and sits up to stare at me. 

"What is there to say? Giving up Catherine is not an option." He say. I bite my bottom lip. Of course it isn't. My little princess is never leaving pack grounds until she finds her mate. I'm forbidding it! But Aiden is also my mate and I cannot live without him. If he ends up dying in battle, I don't know how long I can live before I parish as well...

"But I can fight."

"No." He says, not a second after I speak. I glare at him, my eyes narrowing into slits. Who does he think he is?! I have a right to decide if I should fight or not. "Summer, we can't leave our daughter parent-less."

"So this is a guaranteed death?" I ask him, feeling the tears building up again. Aiden frowns but doesn't respond. He doesn't have to, I already know the answer. I fall back on my side, curl up into a ball and start to sob. I feel every hope I have drain from me. Aiden was going to die and I have to accept that.

"Summer..." He cooes and moves to lay next to me. He wraps is arms around me and I move to rest my head on his chest. I listen to his strong heart beat and place a hand over it. 

"We've been through so much, Aiden. And to think, all of it was pointless. It was all for nothing." I feel another sob rake through my body. 

"Hey. Hey... It was not for nothing. I would not change one moment that I shared with you. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me Summer. You have given me a reason to fight." I open my eyes to look up at his fierce yet sorrowful ones. He gives me a weak smile and lifts a hand to touch my cheek.

"But what's the point? Why go through all that if you're just going to leave me?" 

"I'm not leaving you. I'll still be here. Right here." He moves and places a finger to my heart. "I'll never be without you. And you have Catherine, baby. Every time you look at her, just think about our love. I don't want you to despise her because I'm gone. This wasn't her fault." I nod and move to lift a hand to stroke his gruff cheek. His whiskers prick my soft skin. 

"Is there no chance you'll survive? Is your fate sealed?" I ask, feeling my throat close up. Aiden sighs and shakes his head.

"There's a chance we will all be unsuccessful. That's why, while I am fighting, you are to take the pack to Ohio and hide. You will not speak to anyone other than pack mates," I shake my head, not believing that this was actually going to happen. "You will keep Catherine well guarded. You will not lose hope, understood?" He asks. I bow my head and sob into his shirt, fisting it together. Aiden holds me impossibly close and kisses the top of my head. "I love you, angel. More than anything." 

"I can't do this. I can't do this." I say over and over. He gives me a squeeze. "When? When will they be here?" I ask him. I know what I hear will crush me and wound me but I have to know. I have to know when I have to give up my mate. 

"Two days." He says. I nuzzle into his neck and allow my eyes to leak out the remaining tears they have. Aiden trails his fingers up an down my spine and starts to hum a sweet lullaby. 

"I will never regret one moment of our live together." I promise to both him and myself. Aiden kisses my head again and squeezes me tighter. "I love you Aiden Ross. Always and Forever."

Blocking my mind, I tell Rain that I am in for whatever plan she has in mind. I will not stand back and allow my mate to be killed. No. I will protect him. I will stay by his side and we will win together. Because heaven forbid my daughter will grow up without knowing her father.