Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"What do you have planned?" I ask Rain as we watch the guys wrestle with each other, training for the battle. They are too engrossed in what they are doing to even think of listening to what we are saying. I hold Catherine in my lap, stroking her barely-there hair. Rain leans back in her chair and subtly passes over a bottle. I grab it and examine the shape. I soon realize it was the spray she spoke of, the one that will mask our scents. 

"And after we use this?" I ask. She bites her bottom lip and turns to give me a small frown. 

"You're not going to like it..." She says softly. I take in a deep breath and turn to look at Aiden tackling Kyle, taking his neck in between his teeth. Before he could hurt him, he hopped off and threw me a glance. I smile a small, fake smile. How can I be happy? This is not what I wanted for my baby girl, and it hurts to know that she may not know her parents. 

But I have the power to safe my mate. At least, if I can participate, there is more of a chance that will might win this battle. Rain and I are talented in fighting, we grew up with an abusive father. A broken arm or punctured rib won't keep us down. 

I have to fight. I have to make sure Aiden is safe. I will keep everyone off of him for as long as I can. That will be my job. 

"I'll do whatever it takes." I say in a strong, confident voice. Rain nods and then reaches over to run her fingers through my hair and I instantly understand what she is saying. I feel tears build in my eyes. I remember in the second grade when I had my hair cut to my chin. It was shortest I ever had it and I hated it. I wasn't able to do anything with it and when it finally grew out, I vowed never to cut it shorter than my shoulders. But I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. 

"Once they take off for the battle, we will chop our hair off and then spray ourself. The spray will only last a few hours, keep that in mind. Aiden will smell you by the end of the day. Heaven forbid the battle lasts that long." She grumbles. I bite my bottom lip and nod. If Aiden smells me, he'll insist I go home. He'll be infuriated but in the end, it would all be worth it. I will not leave him, no matter how dominante he is or how many times he uses his Alpha tone on me. My love for him will over power his stupid command. 

I kiss Catherine's head and rock her back and forth. Rain watches us for a moment and I feel extremely guitly at the thought of how she lost her baby to save mine. I hand Catherine to her and she holds her niece close, whispering sweet words to her. 

"Don't worry, baby girl. You'll see your mother again. I'll keep an eye on her." Rain's eyes flicker over to me and I slightly grin. It isn't her job to watch over me, I'm supposed to be taking care of her. She bounces Catherine up and down and my princess starts to make cute noises. 

I look over at Aiden to see he is walking towards me, fully clothed. I wondered when he shifted back to change. I really do miss alot when I'm caught up in thought. Aiden grabs Catherine and lifts her above his head, smiling widely at her. Then he lowers he and blows on her belly. Catherine laughs. "I love you, princess." He says and then glances at me. I wish I was smiling, I really do. But there was a pain in my heart, reminding me of how this could be their last encounter together. They head off in the morning to fight and I feel sick to my stomach. 

I get to my feet and walk over to place a hand on the back of Catherine's head, kissing her cheek. She lifts a hand and tangles it in my hair. I try not to frown when she tugs on it, reminding me that in a little while, my hair will be gone. I lift my eyes to Aiden and he gives me a sweet grin, leaning down to kiss me. Ugh, this pretending crap is really bugging me. I hate that he is pretending that everything is fine. That tomorrow will just be another day and will not tear us apart, both physically and emotionally.