Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

~Five Years Later~

"Can you hold Phoenix please?" I ask, holding my two year old boy over to Rain. She grins down at her nephew and makes baby noises to him. Apparently that's attractive now? I shrug, watching as Kyle wraps his arms around her from behind, placing a protective cage around his wife and soon-to-be baby. Yes, my baby sister finally got married and is finally pregnant. Took them long enough... She is now twenty one years old and is about to start a family of her own. 

"MOM!!!!" I hear Catherine scream. I wince and let out a tired breath as my five year old spit fire charges into the room, a look of anger and frustration evident on her face. I stand up from sitting on the couch and moan at the pain in my abdomen. "River keeps touching my stuff!"

"I do not!" I hear my four year old daughter testify as she joins us in the living room. So, I have three children. And I should have listened to Jimmy when he said no more after River. But I thought, that after two years, it would be okay if I got another one. Two years later, I am still in pain. Every time I stand up too quickly, an immense amount of pain jolts through me. It's like I'm giving birth all over again.

Apparently, I wasn't one of those lucky mother's who were completely fertile. I had River with much difficulty, like Catherine. It wasn't as severe, I didn't almost die, but the labor was torture. More so than it should have been. Jimmy says it's my body telling me to stop. But I was stupid and had another child. 

Phoenix wasn't big. He is actually very small considering we got him out early. Aiden was furious with me, considering I tricked him into conceiving a child with me. I had stop taking birth controls, eager to have another child, preferably a son for him. Jimmy and Sammy described my swollen belly as "bruised" and "distorted". I knew that Phoenix was going to be my last child, that he was going to be the one that ended it all. 

Werewolves never have c-section. Ever. They are built to have to strength and stability to go through labor and birth. I-for some reason-am not. 

The pain I feel now is not nearly as bad as two years ago. Now it's just tiny stabs, nothing I can't handle. 

"Girls, play nice." I look at Catherine as I say this. She has grown up to be such a sweet girl to everyone else other than River. 

"It's because she knows River is different. Catherine believes she is a freak, that her being stronger is a problem. River is the sweet, innocent looking one that never gets in trouble. Also, she's jealous that River does not have to train almost all day long." Jimmy had told me one day. I felt bad for my eldest daughter. She doesn't understand what kind of powers she holds.

"Why aer you looking at me! She's the spoiled little brat who gets whatever she wants!" Catherine cries. River looks at her older sister with hurt and sorrowful eyes. I frown and squat down to open my arms for her. She runs into them, throwing her arms around my neck. I pick her up, ignoring the slight pain that follows as I hold her close to me. 

"Catherine, quit being so rude to your sister! She is only trying to be friends with you." I tell her. Catherine lets out a frustrated cry.

"Why are you always taking her side?! Why is she the one who always gets to play with dolls and watch movies all day while I train?!" She booming voice shakes me through the core and I feel my knees give in.

"Catherine!" Kyle warns. 

"Why is she so much better than me?! Huh?! What did I do wrong for you to hate me so much!" Catherine reaches out and pushes me hard. When her hands make contact with my stomach, it sends me tumbling backwards. I hear River scream in my ear as we fall. The impact to the ground wasn't so. It's not what hurt me. What hurt me is what my daughter said, what she did.