Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

We all get into our hiding positions, the house still lit up because it is very rare to have the lights off- it would only cause suspicion. I hold Aiden's hand tightly, feeling anxious. I am about to burst right now, even though she hasn't walked through the door yet. Aiden rubs his thumb over my knuckles, tossing me a grin before leaning over and kissing my nose.

Ugh. I love this man. I hear multiple stories about how mates grow apart when they grow older, not having enough time to be together. But not us. No one in our pack has fallen out of love with their mates. They are all very happy. Me, though... I fall more in love with Aiden every day. He is my number one. My everything. 

I hear the door open and my wolf prances around in my head, antsy as well. I hear Catherine, River and Phoenix talking and when the door closes, it's our cue to jump out from behind our spots. "Happy Birthday Catherine!" We all scream at the blushing blond angel in front of us. I giggle like a little girl and run over to throw my arms around my daughter. She squeezes me close and sighs.

"You guys are amazing! I love you all!" She tells us. Her eyes connect with mine before they flash over to her father's. 

"Come give me a hug, princess." He opens his arms and she hurries into them. Catherine has always been a daddy's girl, even when she was a baby. She loved being with him the most. River was closer to me, however. Phoenix is the isolated one. He never grew close to either of us, relying on his older sisters to spill his problems with. It had angered Aiden very much when he was never filled in with what was going on with Phoenix.

He was bullied at school when he was younger because Catherine painted his nails. River said it was a bad idea, but Phoenix loved it. Aiden was the last to hear of it, considering he was constantly tied up with pack work. I only found out from coaxing it out of River. I told Aiden a few days later, when he was calm and collected. 

We allowed Catherine to have fun with her friends and family for a few hours before we pulled her aside and handed her a small box. We are seated away from everyone, in our bedroom. She sits on the bed next to me while Aiden stands in front of us. 

Catherine opens the small box with a smile on her face that instantly vanishes to a look of awe and astonishment. Her eyes flicker over to me than to her father. "It's beautiful." She pulls out a silver heart locket that has engraved designs on it. She opens it and inside is a picture of her, Aiden and I when she was just a baby. On the other half is engraved "Forever & Always". 

"We want you to always remember us." I whisper, feeling my throat gets clogged at the end. She gives me a confused expression.

"What do you mean? I will always remember you guys. You're my parents." She offers me a reassuring smile before giving Aiden another look over confusion. Aiden glances at me and I nod. 

"We have something we need to tell you, Catherine." Aiden says calmly, squatting down in front of her. He gathers her hands in his, looking her dead in the eyes. "Many years ago, a few weeks after you were born, something terrible happened. People found out about you be the chosen and there was a great battle. Many packs wanted you while we fought to protect you. I had sent your mother away to keep her safe but she is stubborn." Catherine laughs, looking over at me. I roll my eyes.

"She disguised herself as a male by chopping off all of her hair and masking her scent. She fought to keep an eye on me. But in the process, she was captured by a powerful Alpha called Blackwood."  Catherine gasps, her eyes widening. She knows all about Blackwood and his crude behavior. "He said that he would only release her on one condition. To give you up in her stead. You can clearly see that neither of those happened. I had made a bargain with Blackwood that I would give you to him freely on your eighteenth birthday.