Our Dance

Exquisite paintings hung from the wall and bright chandeliers hung from the ceilings. The audience in the ballroom's indistinct chatter reached Harper's ears. Speaking of the young lady, she tucked a loose strand of her umber hair and she exhaled softly as her heart rate picked up leisurely.  "Ready?" The pianist said while adjusted their ebony coat hastily. "Of course," Harper said gently as the curtains unraveled steadily, "Ivor." 

The bright lights dimmed slowly and a scarlet spotlight shone in front of Harper. As she stepped further unto the broad stage, she felt the rhythm of the piano beneath her feet.

            "When I first met you, scarlet roses were blooming beautifully in the valleys." A gentle vocalist sang.

 She glided swiftly and the audience watched Harper closely as the orchestra's playing became more intense. Harper twirled rather roughly as the music became tense briefly. The director of the orchestra's conducting become more leisure and the orchestra's playing slowed down as Harper leaped into the air gracefully. The audience gazed up at Harper while holding their breath. As the orchestra began playing softly, Ivor's emotions brought the gentle song to life. 

           "As you spoke with much enthusiasm, your grand ideas seemed to come to life before                                                                                                my own eyes."

Somehow Harper managed to glance at Ivor momentarily and he smiled briefly upon catching her warm gaze.  He seemed lost in the music as he played smoothly and every note rather heavenly. As the orchestra quickly picked up the hasty tempo again Harper glanced at Ivor and he leaned closer to the piano as he fervently played quicker as well. A smile was plastered on his face as he touched each and every key harshly, emitting a rough sound as Harper's movements became more rigid. As Harper leaped into the air gracefully, Ivor's playing became soothing. The melody of the music left his fingertips and the orchestra played with grace. One last time, Ivor and Harpers gaze locked before she spun round and round with elegance. As she came to a slow stop, Harper fell to the floor exquisitely and the curtains closed ploddingly. Harper inhaled and exhaled quickly before she allowed a smile to play with her face as she heard the audience roaring with applause. Harper glanced in Ivor's direction one last time and the two locked eyes once more.

"Now I'm left old and gray, wondering where did the time go? But I'll never forget the moment I first laid eyes on you." 

__

Felt like writing a much "warmer" one shot and I am certainly happy with how this came out. :)