6 - Fatal Encounter

August 8th 2024 - 11:34 pm

Nyx found himself walking around Jaileum - the prison-themed town on the 40th floor of Aincrad.

The last time he was here, he had been arrested by the K.o.B and the few people who settled in on this floor knew that very well.

There weren't many people out on the streets in the small town this late at night, but those that were there and who noticed Nyx kept their distance, curiously and cautiously watching him from the shadows.

A far-off scream rang out, catching Nyx's attention. He looked around but knew he wouldn't see anything from where he was. It was dark and the scream sounded too quiet to have been nearby.

He heard it again and rushed over to where he heard the scream come from. He dashed through the city square and out to the city gate where he noticed four shadowy figures standing near a tree. Their backs were turned to him and they had surrounded two regular players, one girl, and one guy. Both of them were on the ground, looking up fearfully at the four figures.

Nyx equipped his regular katana and silently walked over to them, using his stealth skill to hide his presence. When he was close enough, he heard their voices and realized that the shadowy figures looked very familiar to him. They were all dressed in black ponchos - the signature look of Laughing Coffin.

"There's only two of you left now... Who's next?"

"I think that big shot from the ALF should go next, and I know just how to do it."

Nyx noticed that the two players couldn't move. They were forced to just lay on the ground, fearfully anticipating their deaths.

One of the players - the girl - seemed to notice Nyx standing behind the Laughing Coffin members and called out for help.

One of the members turned back and saw him standing there, then alerted the other three. When they all turned back to look at him, Nyx could only recognize one of them - the one standing in the center, Red-Eyed XaXa.

"What do we have here...?" he heard XaXa's vaguely familiar voice ask him.

XaXa wore a skull as a mask which hid most of his features which meant Nyx could barely see his face, but he could see the cruel smirk he had beneath the hood of his poncho.

"What're you doing with those people?"

"Just having some fun, what else does it look like?" XaXa's response was cold but with a hint of enjoyment.

Nyx balled his fists and shot him a piercing stare. "They aren't your playthings, stay away from them."

"So what? You make it sound like killing people is a bad thing. I wouldn't expect you to be the one lecturing us on killing."

Hearing his words only angered Nyx more but he tried not to let his frustration show. "I'll only say this once more, stay away from them."

XaXa let out a chilling chuckle "Why? You want to have them all to yourself? If that's it I'll be more than happy to hand them over."

Nyx reached for the hilt of his katana and slowly began to draw it out of its sheath.

"Boss, this guy's got a death wish don't you think?" one of the players said with a somewhat arrogant tone.

"If you want to join your dead friends, all you have to do is ask. What's it gonna be, Phantom?"

Nyx felt a chill up his spine when he heard XaXa's words. He thought back to the night he and his guild encountered Red-Eyed XaXa and Johnny Black outside their base, and felt the same anger in that moment that he did when he watched them cut two of his friends down.