62 - Turnabout

Nyx sprinted forward in between several rows of pine trees as he entered a forest area. Instead of his regular assault rifle, he held his << Ultimate Fiber Gun >> the gift he got from Reko when he first met her.

Reko and Sinon followed closely behind him, chasing after him frantically. Reko had her vision fixed on the scan terminal in her hand while Sinon looked around to make sure no one was around them.

Several feet away from them on their right side, a single silhouette sprinted passed them, moving at an unnaturally fast speed. The echo of their footsteps drowned out the sound of the leaves rustling near them making it difficult for anyone to notice, but Sinon caught a glimpse of this shadow and sped up slightly to try to catch up with Nyx.

"Hey! Slow down a bit, this isn't going to help you at all!" she shouted to Nyx who just barely heard her.

Reko looked up and nodded in agreement before speaking next. "She's right. Even with your UFG, you won't make it in time."

Nyx dashed ahead, ignoring their warnings and protests. He knew they were right, but he didn't see any other options. Sprinting blindly ahead, he heard Reko's voice call out to him again.

"You don't even know what those players are up to. We cannot be sure that they are really after Pitohui."

"We can't be sure that they're not." Nyx retorted, making his thought process easier for the girls to understand.

"He was scared for his life moments ago... What's gotten into him?" Sinon thought to herself.

She continued to keep an eye on their surroundings and soon spotted a grenade flying toward them from above. "Heads up!" she shouted, calling their attention to the grenade quickly falling toward them.

Everyone's attention shot upward and Nyx froze as they watched the large grenade fly over their heads and land several feet behind them.

"I've seen that grenade before." Nyx thought to himself as a strangely shaped bullet line appeared in between the three of them. "Oh no..." he whispered under his breath.

A parabola-shaped bullet line shot up from the bushes ahead of them and pointed at the ground in front of Nyx's feet. "Hey get back guys!" he shouted, aiming his UFG at one of the many trees to his right and pulling the trigger, blindly hoping to latch onto a branch to jump toward.

Sinon dashed to the closest tree next to her while Reko ducked into a bush across from Sinon. She looked ahead in the direction of the bullet line and behind the fading cloud of smoke, she managed to spot a single player lying on her back while looking upward.

This player was considerably smaller in size than Reko but she couldn't get a clear look at them. "Sinon there's someone up ahead, on the ground behind a bush."

With a quick nod, Sinon crouched down and looked over the tree, aiming blindly in the direction Reko pointed her at. As the last of the smoke faded. Looking through the scope, she spotted the person Reko warned her about.

Placing her finger on the trigger, Sinon set her aim on the player and at the same moment, another parabola-shaped bullet line appeared this time aiming at Nyx's general direction.

Neither Reko nor Sinon could see him but they had a good idea where he had gone, and there was a good chance that their attacker was aware of it as well.

Pushing the thought away, Sinon readied herself to fire but in an instant, the other player pulled their trigger and fired their grenade and Sinon shifted her aim from the player to their projectile.

Taking a quick breath, she hastily fired her rifle. Less than a second later the grenade burst into flames in mid-air.

"Excellent diversion, but I'm afraid I've lost our target." Reko's voice pierced through the sound of the explosion and caught Sinon's attention.