69 - Cat and Mouse

6th April 2023 - 4:30 pm

Shino and Suguha walked side by side on their way to Dicey Cafe. The little cafe - which served as the friend's hangout spot - was usually empty around this time, which Shino was counting on.

Things felt so immensely overwhelming since the night of the second Squad Jam. The scene outside her apartment left her fearful and confused and what she'd heard only made things worse.

At this point, she didn't know what to believe. There was so much she wanted to ask but couldn't bring herself to contact him. She'd heard from her friends that he was fine - which added to the many questions she had spiraling in her head.

"That car..." Shino said while pointing at the white Audi.

"The white one outside the cafe? What about it?" Suguha asked as she followed Shino's gaze.

"Isn't that Niko's brother's car?"

"You think so? I don't think I've seen it before." Suguha paused for a moment before clicking her fingers together. "If it is then do you think his brother's okay?"

Shino doubted that was the case. After what she heard the last time she saw Niko it was more likely that the opposite was true. She didn't want to believe it but as far as she knew, Niko's brother had died.

When and how was still a mystery - like most things involving Niko - and because of that, she decided not to put much hope in the idea of it being something else.

They approached the front entrance of the cafe one last time and gave the car another quick look. They couldn't tell from the outside but Shino was more convinced of her assumption.

The door chimed as the two girls walked into the cafe with an unexpected sight waiting for them. Asuna, Kazuto, and, Rika all sat at a table with a familiar white-haired boy holding his head in his hands.

Shino felt a mix of relief and anxiety building up in her chest at seeing them - more especially Niko. It was nice to see some of her friends after everything that happened, but that feeling wouldn't last long.

"You should've told her sooner. We could've helped you." Kazuto said earning a defeated sigh from Niko.

"Just how exactly did you expect me to bring up that she shot my-" Niko stopped himself, feeling his throat dry up when he tried to speak. He didn't need to though as everyone there understood what he was about to say.

Where Kazuto and Asuna knew about it from the beginning, Rika had just learned about it then. Niko dropped his head on the table and sighed.

He knew Kazuto was right but the more time passed the harder it became for him to bring up something that heavy. He'd gotten so used to running away from his problems that when everything came crashing down over the last few days Niko wasn't ready to deal with it.

"It was easier to just forget..." he mumbled into the table, just loud enough for them to make out what he was saying.

By now the rest of the group had taken note of Shino and Suguha's presence. Rika gestured for them to be quiet to keep the already awkward scene from escalating.

Suguha nodded understandingly but Shino had barely registered the command. She was frozen in place, processing what she'd just heard.

"Do you hold it against her?" Rika asked, earning a small groan from Niko.

"Of course not - it was self-defense. I didn't care much for that bastard... I just... didn't want her to live with that."

Niko's words sent a pang of guilt through her chest. It wasn't the first time she'd heard it now but it stung all the same. Before now she wasn't sure if it was the truth, but hearing it from his own mouth only made her more confused.