19 - Lunchtime Memories

April 3rd 2025 - 7:42am

Niko drove into an empty space in the school's parking lot. He sat in his brother's car for a minute thinking about what he'd heard about his leg injury yesterday. "Guess I'm never going to be strong enough."

Sighing, he got out of the car. He stopped to look around as he watched people walking by. His eyes fell on a girl with chestnut hair getting out of a black car. As she walked into the school Niko felt he'd seen her, a familiar feeling to him by now though.

He resisted the temptation to walk over to her. He walked into the main building, where he saw the same girl standing with Rika and Keiko who he met yesterday. Not wanting to disturb the apparently close friends he continued to walk on.

Hearing a voice call out his name he turned around, seeing Rika waving at him. She gestured for him to come over, but after a few moments, she walked over to him instead. "Hey you. What's up?" Scratching his head he shrugged his shoulders.

"Nothing much. How're you doing Rika?"

The two girls walked up behind Rika. "H-hi Niko." Keiko waved as she approached them.

"Hey Keiko and um..." Niko turned to look at the girl with chestnut hair. "That looks exactly like..."

Rika smirked, pulling Niko towards her "Oh don't tell me you don't recognize our dear Asuna here."

"No no, I do. I just... I don't know what to call her IRL is all." Niko said nervously.

"Well, I guess it's time for introductions. Asuna, meet Nyx, aka Niko. Niko, meet our unimaginative friend here Asuna."

Asuna hit Rika on the shoulder "I have plenty of imagination!" Niko felt himself smile a little watching the two go back and forth. Seeing this, both girls turned to face him

"It's nice to meet you in person Nyx. I'm surprised we didn't find you lying in a field somewhere though."

Niko rolled his eyes. "You can't be serious... what do you take me for?"

Asuna smiled "Oh relax I'm just kidding. Honestly, I never expected to see you here though, and with actual white hair. You look just like your avatar. A little taller too."

"I would've introduced you yesterday when Keiko and I ran into him at lunchtime, but someone decided to pull his usual disappearing act." Liz pipped in, playfully nudging Niko in the side.

The bell rang out signaling that it was time to go to class. "Well, I guess we'll be seeing each other at lunch right?" Asuna said cheerily with Niko standing surprised by the unexpected invitation.

Scratching his head Niko gave a warm smile "Yeah, I guess we will."

"Unless you vanish into thin air again." Liz smirked at Niko teasingly. Rolling his eyes again, turning his back on her he began to walk away.

"You mean like 'disappearing act' I'm pulling right now?" Without paying attention he took a quick and heavy step accidentally hurting his leg. He winced at the sudden pain and stopped. Keiko noticed this and walked up to him, Asuna and Rika stood watching him.

"Are you okay?"

Trying to brush off the pain Niko nodded "Don't worry about it Keiko, I'm fine." Niko walked slowly toward the staircase leading up to the 3rd floor where he'd attend class, trying to hide the fact that he was in pain.

__________

April 3rd 2025 - 11:00am

The bell rang out signaling it was lunchtime. Niko packed his bag and slowly stood up, not wanting to hurt his leg any further and secretly stalling to wait for people to leave the classroom.