41 - Unfinished Business

December 24th 2025 - 10:42pm

The echo of a car door closing rang out outside Niko's gate. Standing at the door of the black Mercedes-Benz Convertible parked outside was a blue-eyed, blonde-haired man sporting a simple white button-up shirt, sleek black dress pants, and leather dress shoes.

The gate opened up in front of him and he calmly stepped onto the property, walking toward the front door as though he was intimately familiar with the resident. Just as he stepped into the porch the door opened up in front of him, revealing a fatigued Niko wearing gray track pants and a purple vest.

He tensed up at the sight of the well-dressed man standing in front of him - the man staring back at him with nothing more than a blank expression on his face. "Nice to see you made it safely, Gabriel." Niko said with more disappointment than relief in his voice.

The man named Gabriel gave Niko a curt nod, unsettling him with the quick, simple motion. Niko hesitantly let him enter, feeling the already heavy atmosphere in the house press down heavier on his shoulders.

He didn't pay much mind to the fact that Gabriel had not removed his shoes - a Japanese custom that he'd adopted in his time living in this country. Gabriel's eyes took in the familiar appearance of the dining room he stood in, his eyes stopping on a large portrait of Niko's family hanging on the wall opposite him.

"This place hasn't changed a bit. It's just as I remember it." he said bluntly earning an annoying eye roll from Niko who crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe a few feet behind him.

"Of course... What did you expect?"

Gabriel's eyes never once left the portrait as he scoffed lightly, his response as calm and deadpan as ever. "What do you expect me to think when you call me telling me that your house was broken into and Garrett was attacked?"

His sharp tone caused Niko to flinch as his chest tightened. That sudden comment filled Niko with the same feeling of guilt and regret as when he learned what had happened to his brother.

"Although, I suppose this isn't even your house yet. You're still too young for that... At least in this country." Gabriel said as he finally moved to face a now shaken Niko who stared blankly at the ground, his mind running through his regrets.

A moment later he blinked several times, bringing himself back to the current conversation. "What are you getting at Gabe?" Niko questioned, his tone low as he did his best to hide the shakiness in his voice.

"That when Garrett dies then this house and everything in it will belong to me." Gabriel spoke with a voice that could freeze the room over.

"W-When Garrett... dies?" Niko stuttered, unwilling to even consider the possibility.

"You've no doubt been to the hospital by now. It would take much more than a miracle for him to ever wake up again. He's worse off now than you ever were in the NerveGear."

It took several seconds for Niko to process those words, but when his mind finally accepted his statement he felt his heart sink. The fear of losing the brother he'd finally begun to bond with and the potential loss of his family home - the only thing he had left of his once-happy family - slowly took hold of him. "...No."

"No?"

"No. This is my home... Like hell am I letting you take any of it away."

Gabriel's soulless eyes held no reaction as he stared blankly at his slightly frustrated family member. He didn't consider this person as one of his own, not that he cared for family or friends. Everyone was expendable to this man, including and especially the white-haired boy leaning on the doorway in front of him.