40 - Costly Revalations

December 21st 2025 - 5:30pm

Kirito, Leafa, and Nyx all walked through the gates of Alne - the city at the base of the world tree in Alfheim. Nyx held a small, red collar in his hand and stared at it with a blank expression on his face.

"Was that really necessary?" Leafa asked Nyx who shrugged in response, earning a curious look from both her and Kirito.

"If I had my way, I'd have fought them for it instead."

"But you were on Imp territory." Kirito said in a matter-of-fact tone "Like it or not they had you pinned from the start."

Nyx puffed in defeat and nodded "Yep, so I had no other choice. Besides, I wasn't going to let those so-called 'Darkguards' mess with any of my friends. That guild's already screwed over a lot of other people."

Just then, as they reached the city center, they heard a familiar voice. "S-Stop it!"

They walked over to the source of the voice and saw Asuna, Liz, and Sinon standing next to each other with their backs turned to them and Yui sitting on Asuna's shoulder. Asuna reached over to Sinon's head like she was trying to pet it. Eventually, Sinon started running around Liz, trying to avoid Asuna who desperately pursued her for some reason.

Confused by what they were seeing, they all slowly walked toward the three girls. As they got closer Nyx heard them talking.

"Just a little more please Sinonon?" Asuna pleaded with Sinon who shook her head as she continued running around Liz.

When they were close enough they all stopped and watched the scene unfold. Kirito and Leafa stood bewildered, while Nyx crossed his arms feeling a slight temptation to smile at the ridiculous sight. "Alright, the hell's going on here guys?"

The three girls all turned to him and Sinon stopped dashing around. "Hey you're back, and so soon too." Liz said as she waved at the three of them. "So, did you manage to get it?"

Nyx raised his hand to show them the collar he held and Leafa nodded with a smile on her face. Liz took the collar from him and examined it as Kirito walked over to Asuna and Yui.

"You work fast." Liz commented with a grin on her face "How did you get it back from those scumbags anyway?"

Leafa and Kirito turned to Nyx who shrugged and put his hands in his pockets "I bought it."

"You bought it? I don't know much about Alfheim but wouldn't a rare item like that cost a fortune?" Sinon asked to which Nyx nodded with a look of frustration on his face.

"Yep, it's one of a kind after all. I had to pay those guys just under half a million Yrd for it and to keep them off our backs."

The girls' eyes all widened in surprise at what he'd just said while Kirito shook his head "Yeah, we tried negotiating with them but in the end we had to give in. I offered to pay for some of it but Nyx wouldn't let me."

"Not a chance, you need to save that. Remember floor 21's gonna open up soon and you guys wanted to buy your cabin back right?"

"But weren't you saving that money to buy your own place back?" Asuna asked with a worried look on her face.

"Yeah... but I can make it back eventually. Silica worked incredibly hard for this and it's not fair that those dicks just up and stole it from her." Nyx clenched his fists at his side, trying not to think about how much he'd just lost.

Leafa sighed and shook her head. "I really wish you'd think things through sometimes."

"I did... a little... It was the more 'peaceful' option after all."