55 - Squad Jam

1st February 2026 - 1:45pm

"Ladies and gentlemen, Squad Jam participants, thank you for your patience! Are your teams ready to go?" The announcement rang throughout the lobby as teams of players waited eagerly for the tournament to begin.

Nyx, LLENN, and M stood together at the entrance having just entered the lobby themselves. The players all burst out into loud, enthusiastic cheers and a moment later everything around them turned black.

Just like in B.o.B there was nothing but a screen in front of them with a timer counting down from one minute to the moment SJ would begin.

"You guys ready?" M asked and both Nyx and LLENN nodded. They all equipped their weapons and scan terminals. M then handed LLENN a combat knife before asking Nyx if he needed one.

"No, I've got my own blade."

"Uh M... what do you expect me to do with this?" LLENN asked.

"It could come in handy if you run out of bullets or if you're in a cramped room, especially with your speed."

He quickly explained how to hold the knife, when to use it, and all the important places to strike an enemy for massive damage.

Nyx watched with crossed arms. "Who is this guy? This stuff isn't the kind of knowledge you get from playing a game. And also..." 

He gave M a quick once over. While his dark green camo wasn't anything special, Nyx couldn't help but notice that he carried a large bag on his back. "What's with that thing?"

"Okay. Here we go." M said after he finished his explanation.

"Roger!" LLENN said and Nyx gave a quick nod.

M turned to LLENN. "You seem strangely enthusiastic. I take it you're excited?"

"Well, if I could've gotten a ticket to Elsa Kanzaki's concert, I wouldn't be here."

"So you didn't get the tickets, huh?"

She shook her head but smiled with a determined expression on her face. "But I'm here though, and I'm gonna give it my all!"

M shot her a small smile before glancing at Nyx. "What about you? You weren't prepared to compete in SJ before right?"

Nyx shrugged in response, but couldn't mask the grin on his face. "Not at first, but I've gotta admit I'm excited. Besides, my friends'll be watching me. I can't let them down now can I?"

He clenched his fist and looked at the screen, seeing that they were seconds away from starting. "Let's see this one through to the end!"

When the timer hit zero a blue-haired announcer appeared in its place. With wide eyes and a smile, she said the words everyone had been waiting to hear. "Let the first-ever Squad Jam begin!"

__________

1st February 2026 - 2:55pm

"That was awesome M!" LLENN beamed as the three of them settled down in an abandoned building. No other teams were near them since M directed Nyx to clear out the teams in the building and LLENN had just finished eliminating a team of tactical players solo.

"I think the credit goes to you for that one LLENN." M responded casually as he looked at the time on his watch."

"Well it was your strategy M, but the way you eliminated that team was amazing. Even with their skills, you outmatched all of them." Nyx said with a soft smile.

He opened his menu and began scrolling through his it. A moment later he muttered something under his breath and M asked what was wrong.

Nyx shook his head and closed his menu. "Nothing. I just realized that I'm out of medkits so I'll be cutting it close from now on."