38 - All out

December 17th 2025 - 4:14pm

"So... how's the bow treating you?" Nyx asked Sinon as they walked behind the rest of the group into a cave in Legrue.

The whole group had flown there and were now traveling on foot since the lack of sunlight made flying in this area near impossible for most races.

"Not bad, although I wish I had more range." she shrugged as she looked at the bow she held in her hands.

"Yeah how about we focus on leveling you up first okay? After all, you just started."

Before either of them could say anything else they heard Liz shout out and looked in her direction. Her attention was fixed on a large stone several feet away from them with purple ore jutting out from its center. The ground in between them and the ore had sunk slightly below its usual level, which was almost unnoticeable at first glance.

"There it is, <<Sterkr Ore>>. It's one of the strongest materials in the game." Liz said excitedly as she began running towards it.

Leafa reached out and grabbed her arm "Wait up Liz! We can't go rushing in like that."

"She's right, we need a plan. Anything could happen you know." Kirito said as he looked around.

"Right... It's there anything to look out for?" Liz questioned and everyone fell silent for a moment.

Sinon was the first to speak as she looked at the ground in front of them "There's a large indent in the ground, so walking over it might not be a good idea."

"How far do you think that indent stretches out?" Asuna asked.

"Looks like a hundred meters give or take."

Liz patted Nyx on the back "Alright big boy, you're up. Surprise us, will you?"

Nyx sighed and looked around for a moment. "The walls seem safe enough. I could run across them."

"Last time someone tried that... why don't you tell us Kirito?" Liz shot Kirito a knowing smile and he just crossed his arms and looked away.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time okay?" he whined, peering at Liz through squinted eyes.

"Cait Sith have the ability to run across walls with ease. It shouldn't be a problem." Nyx stated as he walked over to one side of the cave and put his hand on the wall.

He took a deep breath and jumped up with his hands pressed into the wall. He crouched diagonally and sprinted across it to the other side where the ore was. He launched himself off the wall and landed on his feet next to the ore.

"Impressive, you finally made yourself useful." Liz smirked and Asuna playfully nudged her arm.

"Stop teasing him."

"Fine, fine." Liz sighed in response.

Nyx noticed an ore vein stretching out from under the ore and disappearing into the other side of the cave - the wall opposite the one he ran across. He reached for the ore and pulled it out, causing the vein to glow a bright purple.

The cave began shaking as the ground Nyx stood on began sinking to the level of the indent. When it was level enough the shaking suddenly stopped and everything fell silent.

"Are you okay Nyx?" Leafa asked.

He nodded but before he could do anything else the ground he stood on gave way, opening up into a chasm below where everyone stood. Nyx quickly reached for the nearest wall and slid down to the bottom.

When he landed a couple of hundred meters below everyone else he couldn't help how intensely he started shaking. He took a few deep breaths and looked around, realizing that the walls of the cave he'd fallen into were lined with ore veins, all glowing purple.