45 - Ambush

December 31st 2025 - 4:02pm

"Dammit Reko, hold on!... Reko?!... Wait Leon, I didn't... Wait I promise...!"

Niko woke up in a cold sweat from yet another nightmare. Even now he couldn't get much sleep, but he decided to take a nap during the day in hopes of getting a little extra rest.

The group had made plans to meet at Asuna and Kirito's cabin on floor 22 of New Aincrad and he wanted to get some rest before they meet up but now, as he sat on his bed breathing heavily, he deeply regretted his decision.

After a few minutes of trying to calm down, he stood up and went to his bathroom to wash his face. As he did he felt himself grow uneasy, like something he wasn't ready for was about to happen. He shook the feeling off and walked to his room, sat on his bed, and looked at the digital clock on his desk near him. "Crap, I'm gonna be late!"

He took his AmuSphere but before he could put it on he heard a knock at his front door. He laid it down and walked downstairs, hearing the person at the door knock again. He put his hand on the handle and felt a chill up his spine. His uneasy feeling became worse than before. Reluctantly he opened the door to find a delivery man with a box in hand.

He took the box and put it on his living room table before running back up the stairs and to his room. He put his AmuSphere on his head, laid himself on his bed, and logged into ALO.

__________

December 31st 2025- 4:15pm

Nyx soared through the sky to the cabin on floor 22 as fast as he could. He flew distractedly, his mind still replaying the events of his nightmare over and over.

He absentmindedly put his hand on his chest near a certain scar he had and sighed, trying to fly as fast as he could. He was never the fastest to begin with, but now that his avatar had been changed considerably he felt much slower and it was too noticeable for him not to be bothered by it.

Passing over the forest Nyx noticed two arrows flying toward him. He evaded them both and looked behind him, trying to see where they were fired from. His new pursuer sent a fire spell his way which struck his back and temporarily made him lose balance.

Caught off guard by the unexpected attack, Nyx turned to see a familiar-looking player flying toward him. "Now's not the time for this man..."  he thought to himself as he reached for his Phantom Blade which was equipped as a one-handed sword on his back.

The player charged up another fire spell as he approached Nyx, then fired but just barely missed him. The player pulled out a scimitar and charged at Nyx who held up his sword to parry the attacks. "Dammit, Sanza... The hell do you want from me?"  he thought to himself as he pushed the salamander back.

"So you're back in good health, are you? That's good to know." Sanza asked as he recovered from Nyx's counterattack while Nyx tightened his grip on his sword. He didn't say a word, just watched him silently and on edge.

"You look a little different though... Is it your hair? No, that's not it. Maybe..." Sanza lunged at Nyx who attempted to dodge out of the way. He was too slow though and Sanza was able to slash at his arm, cutting him just below the shoulder blade. "that purple coat brought back a few crimson memories, Phantom."

He dashed toward Nyx and just barely passed by him. Sanza then elbowed him in the back and kicked his shin, knocking him off his balance.

Nyx fell to the ground, just barely able to recover and land safely. Sanza used the sword skill <<Fell Crescent>> quickly charging down and delivering a downward blow that Nyx just barely blocked with his sword. Sanza leaped back and landed on his feet facing him.