18 - First Day

April 2nd 2025 - 6:47am

Niko stared at himself in the mirror, trying to adjust to the sight of himself wearing the SAO Survivor school uniform. His hair was trimmed short and still dyed white, contrasting his black eyebrows. As he looked at himself his thoughts wandered

"First day of school Niko... Don't panic, you'll be fine."

After spending a few more moments mentally preparing himself for the day, he took his black school bag and left his room, walking down the stairs to meet Garrett who sat at the dining table eating his breakfast.

Garrett looked up as Niko walked into the room, a smile growing on his face. Niko glared at his brother as he took a seat across from him "What are you smiling about?" Garrett tried to mask his smile, instead of letting out a small laugh before responding

"It's just weird seeing you in uniform."

Niko sneered at Garrett and spoke under his breath "Believe me, I'd rather not be wearing this." Garrett continued staring at Niko as he ate his breakfast

"It's rude to stare, you know."

"I'm sorry but c'mon you have to admit it's a little strange seeing you like this. I'm used to seeing you wearing a hoodie or something when you go to school." Garrett replied as he stood up to take his plate to the kitchen, walking past Niko "And I'm also not used to seeing your hair like this either." he ruffled Niko's already messy hair.

Annoyed, Niko pushed Garrett's hand away "It's not a big deal dude. I've had my hair this way for years now."

"Maybe, but the last time I saw you was in 7th grade remember? You still looked like your old self back then. I still remember how surprised I was to see you in that hospital bed."

Niko smiled softly to himself, not used to having morning banter with anyone, let alone his brother who he hadn't lived with for just over 4 years now. "I could say the same to you. I don't even know how you found out I was in the hospital."

"And I could say the same to you. I don't even know how you found yourself back in Japan."

As the two continued their back and forth Niko finished eating his breakfast. When he was done Garrett drove Niko to the school and dropped him off at the front gate.

Niko looked out of the car window at the building, looking at all the other students wearing the same navy uniform he wore. "So these are all SAO survivors huh?"  lost in thought a slight feeling of nervousness rose up in him.

Garrett watched his brother's blank expression as he looked out the window. He grew concerned, worried about Niko's wellbeing. He'd noticed how agitated Niko had been and wondered if he was really ready to start going to school so soon after SAO.

"Hey bro, you sure you're ready for this?" He asked, putting his hand on Niko's shoulder. Niko nodded in response and put his hand on the door handle preparing himself to leave and start his first day of school.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just... It feels weird having you drive me here like this."

Rolling his eyes with a relieved sigh Garrett turned to look out the window, watching all the students passing by "Don't get me started on that. I feel kinda old driving you out here."

"I told you to let me drive dude."

"If the doctor says you're good to go then I'll be more than happy to give you the keys. Your check up's today remember? I'll be around at 11:30 to pick you up." Garrett patted Niko on the shoulder before unlocking the car and letting Niko leave.

"Remember to go easy on that leg until then."

"Yeah, I got it. See you later then." with those as his parting words Niko left the car, waved his brother goodbye, and walked into the school.