chapter 9

ᴠɪʀɪᴅɪᴛʏ

(ɴ.) ɴᴀÏᴠᴇ ɪɴɴᴏᴄᴇɴᴄᴇ

☆The night of the dinner party had felt almost surreal

The night of the dinner party had felt almost surreal. Faith sat up in her bead, her eyes felt dry as the streaming sunlight blinded her through the curtains. Tom Riddle had comforted her? Well, as close to comforting that Tom Riddle could be capable of.

Rubbing her tired eyes and stumbling out of bed, Faith walked to the mirror. She still had mascara run down her face from the night before, and her hair had dead daisies tangled inside her knotted locks. Sighing deeply, Faith attempted to look presentable, not that she particularly had anywhere to be though. Sunday was her rest day.

"So...What happened last night?" Amara squealed, jumping onto Faith's bed.

"Um, what do mean?" Faith asked, still battling with a hairbrush.

"Come on Faith. You ditched the party with Riddle, didn't you?"

Faith recognised Amara's excited tone. "It's not what you think Amara," She sighed, "Not everybody wants to make out with Tom Riddle" Faith added, laughing.

Amara laughed back,"You're boring Faith," Amara watched Faith struggling to run the brush through her tangled mess of hair, amused, "Faith, give that to me."

Amara grabbed the brush and began to work her way through the tangles carefully.

"Thanks Amara," Faith smiled.

"Faith, what were you really doing with Tom?" Amara asked, her tone slightly more serious now. "I only ask because Andrew looked crushed for the rest of the dinner. I mean, you two were the only two missing so it was pretty easy to imagine what you were doing."

The pit of guilt returned to Faith's stomach at the mention of Andrew. "I was...upset. I guess he was just making sure I wasn't going to do anything stupid, you know."

It hit Faith that she didn't really know why Tom stayed with her in the first place; there was absolutely nothing he could gain from that, so why would he stay? And why didn't he turn her in?

"Are you ok now?" Amara asked, concern tainting her playful tone.

"Yes, I'm fine now," Faith smiled, her eyes bright. Faith had mastered the 'yes I'm fine' smile since a young age, it never failed.

"So..." Faith turned around, so she faced Amara," What happened with that slime ball Malfoy?" Faith teased.

"Don't talk about him like that!" Amara replied, half angry, half amused.