Chapter 31

"ᴵ'ᵛᵉ ˢᵉᵉⁿ ᵐʸ ᵒʷⁿ ˢᵘⁿ ᵈᵃʳᵏᵉⁿᵉᵈ."
ᴬˡᵉʲᵃⁿᵈʳᵃ ᴾⁱᶻᵃʳⁿⁱᵏ

"ᴬˡᵉʲᵃⁿᵈʳᵃ ᴾⁱᶻᵃʳⁿⁱᵏ

Tom often felt angry; there were many things that he hated, many things within this world that conjured nothing but fury and annoyance. When he was a child, he had never been very good at controlling his anger, often getting him into fights with the other children, and usually resulting in a painful black eye after. When he grew up however, he learnt how to efficiently control his anger; if there was a subject he found difficult, something that used to infuriate Tom greatly, he would simply practice it over and over until he was the best in the class once again. If there was a fellow student that was particularly incompetent, instead of losing his temper, Tom simply gritted his teeth and got on with it- his anger could be directed at more important issues.

All in all, Tom was an angry person. Always had been really. Though he'd never quite felt the kind of anger, like fire deep in his heart, that he felt as he watched Mr Silvers yell at Faith Silvers.

The kind of anger that made him want to rip the world to shreds, starting with this house, and then rebuild it, so only he and Faith existed together.

It was the kind of anger that derived from a place in Tom's heart that he didn't quite recognise.

Love?

"Apologies Tom, my boy," Faith's father grumbled after Faith left, sitting back down at the dinner table as the house elves collected the plates, "My daughter has never respected this family. It's a shame, she could have been so much more, but she seems set on staying a filthy blood traitor." he huffed.

Tom's knuckles turned white from the tight grip he had on his fork.

"That girl needs to learn to conform! She cannot embarrass us like that at our Christmas dinner, people will talk!" Mrs Silvers rambled, shaking her head, "She's nothing but a worthless-"

"Excuse me," Tom interrupted, standing from his chair. He knew that now was not the time to lose himself to anger. "Thank you for the dinner, but I better go and check on her,"

Mr Silvers scoffed slightly, "I applaud your nobility Tom, and I hope you're able to set her straight. She needs somebody like you to tell her right from wrong."

Tom nodded and smiled tightly, though he doubted it reached his fiery eyes. Turning to follow Faith, he noticed a pale faced Axel shoot him a strange, wary look, before the boy swiftly looked away. Disregarding this, Tom walked quickly down the darkened hall, searching desperately for Faith's golden hair or sapphire eyes.

He checked her room first, only to find an unmade bed and an open window, allowing the pouring rain from outside to spill onto her windowsill, subsequently soaking the pile of books in direct stream of the rain. Tom quickly walked across the dark room towards the window, illuminated only by the moonlight, shadows of the dripping raindrops on the window panes projected onto the walls, as panic began to rise to his chest.

Tom wasn't quite sure why he was panicked; Faith wouldn't be far, and she wasn't in any danger. But, she needed him. He could feel it somehow.

And honestly, he needed her too.

Just as Tom reached out to close the window, he spotted a familiar figure outside, sitting on the grand steps that lead to the front door, head in her hands, hair dripping wet.

Faith, Tom sighed to himself in relief. Faith.

"You're going to get hypothermia," Tom scoffed, sitting next to Faith on the steps and casting a water repellent spell on them both.

Faith looked up at him, her eyes rimed with tears and her nose red from the cold. Tom hated when she cried. He wanted the world to stop being so cruel to her. He wanted her to laugh. He wanted his sun to come out again. It was selfish, he knew that, but he needed her warmth.

"you came after me?" she whispered hoarsely, eyes searching his intensely.

"I wasn't going to let you freeze to death, no," He said flatly, before softening his voice, "And I wanted to check on you."

Faith stared into his eyes for a few moments longer, before a tear fell from her eyes, silvery in the moonlight. Almost instinctively, Tom brought his hand to her cheek, wiping it away. She felt cold. Breaking their eye contact, Faith turned away, sniffing and rubbing her eyes.

"I'm okay," she muttered, as though she was attempting to convince herself.

"You're shaking," Tom noted, wrapping a green blanket around her shoulders and taking her hands in his, warming them. Faith looked up at him again, smiling weakly and putting her head on Tom's shoulder.

"Thank you." She uttered, closing her eyes as she listened to the sound of Tom's breathing and the pouring rain.

"What your father said isn't true by the way," Tom said, tucking a piece of Faith's wet hair behind her ears as she opened her eyes again, furrowing her brows. "You're not worthless."

Faith didn't answer, instead she squeezed Tom's hands and moved closer to him.

"In fact," Tom continued, speaking quietly, almost at a whisper, "You're worth more to me than anything else in this world."

Faith sat up abruptly, eyes wide, her gaze set on Tom's eyes. The warm yellow light from inside the house fell upon her face, making her features appear softer. Her eyes flittered down to Tom's lips.

With almost a sense of urgency, Tom closed the space between them, a hand on her jaw, connecting their lips. Instantaneously, the passion burnt bright, a star in the sky, melting away the ice of reality. Tender and raw, open and soft, molten like the core of the earth and exhilarating like the frosty sting of the night air. Perhaps it was magnetism that brought their lips together, or simply desire, but Tom felt himself sink into the kiss, as if they were fused together by some kind of gravitational force, sharing their warmth and their intimacy.

Faith paused for breath first, keeping her face close to Tom's as they opened their eyes, her eyelashes brushing against Tom's cheek.

"You're everything to me," Faith whispered intently through breaths.

Tom didn't run away this time. Instead, he wrapped his arms around her waist, absorbing every bit of the sunlight she emitted, and brought her closer.

Note: Hii :)

Just wanted to say sorry about how inconsistent my updating has been recently, I've been pretty busy and unfortunately I have exams for the next few months which is super stressful :(
I'm going to try my best to update as often as possible, and I promise I'm not going to abandon this story lol, but I don't think I'll have much time to write at the moment.

Thank you so so much for reading, voting and commenting! It honestly makes my day :D