Chapter 13

The next few weeks were not enjoyable for Faith

The next few weeks were not enjoyable for Faith. Lottie refused to speak with her, Andrew too. Daniel had talked to her a bit bit mostly just to say it will all blow over soon. But it didn't.

Faith lay in bed, tears streaming down her cheeks as usual; she was surprised she still had tears left to cry, she had been weeping more than often recently. But how could she not? Daniel was like her brother, a real brother, and she loved him so much. But he had told her to stay away. It's just for now, he had said, almost 2 weeks ago.

And Lottie was her best friend, they person she could always rely on to make her laugh. But she didn't even let Faith apologise. She felt hopelessly out of control of the situation.

"Hey Faith," Amara gave a small, sympathetic smile, sitting on her bed next to her, "You doing OK?"

At least she had Amara, Faith thought. Sweet, caring, funny Amara. They had grown a lot closer this year, and realised they actually had a lot in common.

"Awful." Faith muttered sitting up, "Everything is awful."

Amara brought Faith into a comforting hug, she put her hand on Faith's cheek, wiping away the tears and smiling.

"It's gonna be ok Faith," she reassured, "You have me,"

Faith gave a smile and hugged her back. "What would I ever do without you, Amara?"

"You'd probably shrivell up into a ball of hopelessness and never leave your bed," she laughed, taking Faith's arm and dragging her out of bed.

"I suppose you're right," Faith laughed back, getting to her feet.

"Come to breakfast, you can sit with me, Walburga and Mary!" She smiled enthusiastically.

Amara had been trying to get Faith to sit with Walburga's group for a long time, but especially ever since her real friends ditched her. Faith wasn't keen on the idea; she loved Amara, and simply didn't understand why she would be friends with such a cold, cruel (and to put it frankly), bitch.

"I don't know Amara... Walburga doesn't like me." This was true. Faith had shared her dorm with Amara, Mary (another one of Walburga's followers) and Walburga for 5 years now and Walburga had never liked Faith. It was most likely due to the fact Faith was not interested in being friends with her, but seeing who Faith's brother was, Walburga had never attempted to pick on Faith.

"Sure she does, Faith. She'd be thrilled if you came and sat with us," Amara smiled, adding, "And so would I."

Faith knew that Amara's friendship with Walburga was not real; no relationships between slytherin, pure blooded families were ever real. Only for show. Amara's parents were friends with Walburga's parents and visa versa. Their friendship had been decided before they were even born.

"Alright, but if she starts being horrible I'm leaving," Faith laughed, grabbing her uniform to get changed into.

"She's really not bad Faith," Amara laughed back.

Faith very much disagreed with this, but there was little point arguing.

To Faith's surprise, when she sat next to Amara at the breakfast table, Walburga seemd delighted.

"Nice to see you've finally come to your senses, Faith," Walburga smiled, a smiled smile so sickly sweet it could rot your teeth.

"Thanks for having me," Faith smilled back, feeling out of place.

The rest of the girls started talking about some arbitrary topic that Faith was less than interested in. Faith didn't really like speaking in a group setting, especially with people she didn't feel particularly comfortable with. So instead of participating, Faith stared wistfully at the ravenclaw table, Lottie was sandwiched between Andrew and Daniel, who all seemed rather cheery. Lottie caught Faith staring, and shot her an angry glare.

"I'm off to the library before herbology class," Faith declared, gathering her things and standing up.

"Alright have fun," Amars smiled. The rest of the girls took no notice of Faith.

Faith hurried out of the great hall, trying to catch her uneven breath. She wished that Lottie would just listen to her, maybe she'd understand what had happened that night at the dinner party. But part of her knew that It was deeper than that for Lottie. Faith was a slytherin, a pure blood slytherin. And Faith understood how Lottie found it difficult to trust her; it just hurt Faith, knowing she could never be more than a pure blood in Lottie's eyes.

Composing herself and brushing away the thoughts, Faith walked down the corridors down to the library. The weather was rather dismal, the dark grey clouds loomed over the castle grounds, blocking out any sunlight. Though Faith hated cloudy weather, she was somewhat looking forward to the rain that would likely follow. Maybe the water could cleanse her mind so she could be left in peace.

The calm ambiance of the hogwarts library soothed Faith instantly. The rustle of pages turning, the smell of parchment and the warmth of the yellow candle light evaporated any worries that usually inhabited Faith's cluttered mind. She spotted Tom on their usual table and skipped over to him.

"Hey Tom," she grinned, sitting down opposite him.

Faith had kept her promise to help him research the castle, and they had been meeting in the Library every few days, searching through books. They had discovered a good few secret passages, and recorded them in a diary of Tom's. Faith wasn't entirely sure why Tom had become so interested in finding out about castle myths, but Faith really didn't complain; without Lottie and Daniel, spending time with Tom in the Library was one of the only way she could get her mind off everything.

"What are you reading?" Faith asked inquisitively, attempting to read the cover of the big black book that Tom was engrossed by. She had spied him reading many other times, but had never caught a glimpse of the title.

Tom quickly shut the book, and returned it to a shelf. "Do you ever consider the possibility that it is none of your business?" Tom said sharply.

"You're boring Tom Riddle," Faith sighed, smiling. "So, you found anything else out about the castle?"

"Not yet, but I was wondering if any of your books would happen to mention a secret...room of sorts, near the dungeons?" Tom asked.

It was difficult to work with Faith as he certainly couldn't tell her what he was really after: the chamber of secrets. Faith was smart enough to know that anybody looking for the chamber of secrets was certainly up to no good, and Tom could not risk losing Faith's trust.

"Hmm, maybe this one?" Faith passed Tom a small book with a worn down leather binding.

"I'll read it after classes," Tom took the book and stood up, collecting his things.

Faith did the same and walked with Tom out of the library. "We have herbology first, right?" Faith asked.

"Unfortunately so," Tom replied, shaking his head. He did not enjoy herbology nearly enough to be excited for their lesson.

"Oh come on Tom, it's not that bad," Faith laughed as they made their way to their lesson.