Chapter 18

"ᵢ ₛₐᵢₗₑd ₛₑₐₛ ₒf ₑₘₒₜᵢₒₙ, ₜₒ wₐₙdₑᵣ ₐ fₒᵣₑₛₜ ₒf ₛcₐᵣₛ, ᵢ ₐₘ ₐ dₐₙcₑ ₒf ₗᵢgₕₜ ₐₙd dₐᵣₖₙₑₛₛ, ₐ gₐₗₐₓy ₒf ₛₕₐdₒw ₐₙd ₛₜₐᵣₛ"

ᵣ.Qᵤₑₑₙ

Faith and Tom were spending quite a bit of time together, ever since that day in the rain

Faith and Tom were spending quite a bit of time together, ever since that day in the rain. Tom knew it bothered Abraxas, which only made him want to spend more time with her; it was amusing to see his face scrunched up with jealousy. Tom knew his knights would be loyal, and it was funny to see them get so worked up about a silly girl.

Besides, it was fun being around Faith; Christmas was just around the corner, and Tom had put his plans on hold until January. He still wanted to research basilisks more before he attempted to control it. So, Faith was a good way to pass the time; her extensive knowledge and humour made her much easier to be around than any of his knights.

"So, you don't like poetry but you do read Shakespeare?" Faith scoffed, as they sat together in the great hall, eating their dinner.

"I never said I particularly like Shakespeare's work," Tom scoffed back, "But how can I not admire him? Even in the wizarding world, he's still the most famous and accomplished playwright,"

"You're right, but he's famous for a reason, you know?" Faith laughed, as they left the great hall, walking back to the slytherin common room.

"Yes, but-"

"Oh shit." Faith muttered. Tom followed her gaze and saw an angry looking Lottie approach them. Upon seeing Tom with Faith, her eyes lit up with fury.

"Traitor,"Lottie muttered as she pushed past Faith.

"Lottie wait!" Faith called, walking after her and grabbing her hand.

"No. I won't.," She shouted, pulling her hand away with fury, "You know as well as anyone what he and his friends are like to me. And you're fine with that? And now you're best friends with Walburga?!" Behind the anger, there was a pool of sadness.

"Lottie, she lives in my dorm, what am I supposed to do? And Tom isn't like them. I promise. If he was, I wouldn't talk to him, you know that!" Faith cried desperately.

Lottie shook her head. "No, Faith, I don't know that. For all I know, you agree with them. Gonna start calling me a mudblood now too?" She cried back with anger.

"Lottie, you know me, how could you say that?" Faith spoke softly, hurt, her eyes welling up with tears. "You really think I'm like them?"

Lottie stared at Faith, her eyes narrowed, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Faith." She spoke sternly, watching the tears drip down Faith's distressed face, and turned away, hastily walking down the corridor.

Faith stood very still, crushed. Her soul felt like it was aching. Lottie had compared her to her family, the people she wanted nothing to with. The people who made her life so miserable. The people she despised the most. Lottie really knew how to hurt her.

"Faith?" Tom put a hand on her shoulder, and looked at her concerned. Faith's bottom lip trembled as her resisted every urge to break down and cry, right then and there.

"I'm fine- " her voice has shaky and hoarse.

The two's eyes met, and Tom stared at her with an unreadable expression. He paused for a second, closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Faith, come with me,"he said softly, taking her arm and leading her down the corridor.

"Where are we going?" Faith asked, staring at his determined face.

"The room of requirement to get drunk." He laughed. It wasn't his usual laugh, it had a sense of warmth to it, a softness. "Figure you need it," he smiled.

Faith gave him a weak but thankful smile, and rested her tired head on his shoulder.

Shit, Tom thought. He was breaking his own rules.