28. welcome to New York

present

present

Jay convinced me to stay at his house. At first I was hesitant for a few reasons: one, I haven't been able to go back to the places I once loved and then someone I loved died. Two, I feel weird staying there with his mom. Especially now that I'm with him. And finally, the third reason, I don't wanna run into anyone in this neighborhood. But it is what it is. I flew over here for a reason and I'm determined to go through with it.

I haven't been home since I left. Last year when Miss Susan's lawyer contacted me about the money she'd left me and to gather up some other stuff that she also had left for me — well her lawyer was sweet enough to come to me. Violet had said she would accompany me but I just couldn't do it.

I wasn't born in New York but my mother moved here after she'd been kicked out and this is all I know. And unfortunately this city has brought me nothing but heartbreak and hurt. I'm not the biggest fan.

The whole flight I was okay. We'd been smiling, kissing and just being cute but now that we landed my mood has changed. Jay notices right away.

He leans over to me and whispers sweet comforting words as he laces his fingers with mine. I look over to him and smile.

God. I'm so glad and thankful he's here with me. Nothing feels more better than this. "Thank you for coming with me." I say once again.

"Babe, stop." He smiles and kisses my hand. And I instantly relax.

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell him the real reason for coming back here on such short notice but then I thought it was stupid of me to lie or just to withhold the truth for no absolute reason. And damn I'm so glad that I told him. His words were full of encouragement and with zero judgment or pity.

Once we're off the plane, my nerves begin to kick in again. Luckily the airport isn't as hectic as I thought it would be. We're able to grab our bags quickly, and head off to our Uber that's waiting.

The place looks pretty much the same as it did the last time I was here. For some dumb reason I thought there would be some big changes or something but nope.

My eyes instantly water at the sight of mine and Miss Susan's house—ex house—it looks almost the same. There are a few details that are different. It's now freshly painted and there's rose bushes.

The Uber driver pulls into Johnny's moms driveway and she steps outside looking a bit confused. "Jay?" She asks, her hand over her eyes to block the sun.

"Ma." Jay says back, as he walks to the truck to grab our luggage. "Surprise." He adds.

Of course this punk didn't tell her that we were coming over for the weekend. Not sure if it was on purpose or he actually forgot. Either way she didn't know and now she looks both surprised but mostly confused.