42. Emmet

All of my daughters friends have their eyes on me

All of my daughters friends have their eyes on me. They have this comedic look of surprise on, that makes me want to laugh. Even Johnny looks surprised and he has already met me before.

I mean, maybe I did just drop this bomb on Alice's people but I didn't know what else to say. The professor asked me a question, so I obviously wanted to answer her with the truth. Which is my daughter. She's what brought me here.

Finally, one of the girls breaks the silence. "You're... Alice's dad?" She slowly delivers that question and it makes me chuckle.

Smiling, I nod. "I am."

Johnny snorts and then, like these kids are all in sync together, they slowly move their heads to face him.

His smiles falls.

"And you knew!" One guy says, pointing an accusatory finger at him.

"And didn't even tell us!" Another one of the guys adds. He looks betrayed but in a funny way.

Feeling cornered, Johnny points a finger at the other young lady in the group. "Why you acting surprised for V, you already knew!"

Everyone gasps and turn their attention to her.

"Babe you knew and didn't tell me?" Another one of the boys asks her. I'm guessing it's her boyfriend since he called her babe.

The girl—V—glares back at Johnny. "Ooh you little snitch!" She fires back at him and he smiles. "Yes, I knew guys but I didn't know what he looked like." She attempts to defend herself. "Johnny's the only one who met him." And she retaliates.

I chuckle.

It feels like I'm in an episode of Friends right now.

Going back and forth with their bickering, they have all seem to forgotten that I'm still standing here. But then again I also forgot that the Professor was still here as well, until clears her throat, grabbing all our full attention.

She wants to laugh as well. "Well, it's really great to meet you. I'm sure Alice will be very happy that you're here."

Alice's friends, all nod in agreement and once again their attention is on me. They all talk at once.

"Yes, great to meet you." "Really nice to meet you!"

Once again I laugh. "It's really great to meet you guys. I'm very glad that Alice has a very...passionate and caring friend group." I say and mean it. It is very comforting and good to know that my daughter has a friend group like this who genuinely seem to care about each other.

I turn to face Johnny. "And it's really good to see you again." I tell him, extending my hand.

Johnny smiles. "You too sir." He says back and shakes my hand. But I can't help but feel like there's this tension between us. Like if he doesn't really like me or maybe he doesn't trust me.