32. belong to you

present

present

Eeeeeeep!" Violet throws herself back on my bed, squealing and kicking her legs with excitement like a child. I can't help but laugh. "I'm so happy for you friend!" She continues. "I knew that you guys would come to your senses and finally get together!" She squeals with excitement some more.

Last night when Jay and I got back from New York, both Vi and Miguel were at his place so we didn't have time to see them. Jay stayed here with me and this morning we both almost overslept and rushed out to classes.

Finally though I got back to the apartment and Vi was here alone and I filled her in with everything.

I started with the situation with my dad and how all that went. I didn't wanna hurt her feelings and make it seem like I wasn't grateful for how sweet and amazing her parents have been to me. But of course Vi was the opposite of hurt, she's only happy for me and only had kinds words to give me: "Now you'll have two sets of family: your best friends adoptive one... and your actual family who will also fall in love with you." She said and we had a good cry with that conversation.

Which is why I chose to start with that one first and saved the Jay one for after.

I throw myself back on the bed next to her chuckling. "I know, it still feels surreal." I stare at the ceiling. "And it scares me that just how it happened...it can end."

Vi sighs, also staring up at the ceiling. "Oh, please! That man is never letting you go! Have you seen the way he looks at you?" Violet chuckles. "I'm sure he hears a hallelujah chorus every time he lays his eyes on you." She jokes and I laugh, playfully swatting her.

"Oh my God, you're so exaggerated!" I laugh.

"You're right, buuut that doesn't mean that I'm wrong." And then her tone turns serious. "From the very first moment we met them outside of that party, I just knew that he was into you Al. The way he looked at you. I never understood how you didn't see it."

I sigh hard.

Remembering that first night on campus when we ran into Jay and Miguel. And I do remember that he was excited to see me but then again it had been a whole year of us not speaking. I had been a senior in high school and he was a freshman here at Calvary. So it seemed natural and normal for him to react that way.

I give Vi a faint smile. "How did he look at me?"

For a second she stares up to the ceiling without saying anything but then she turns over to look at me. "He looked at you so intently, with fascination. Like he wanted to memorize every inch of your face. And like he'd hold on to every word that you said."

There go those darn butterflies fluttering around again in me. And he's not even here. But then I also can't help but to feel silly for not noticing. More like not valuing myself enough to think that someone like Johnny could never be interested in a girl like me as more than just a friend.