43. unapologetic

part one

part one

There was a time in my life when I thought that good things would never happen to me. I grew up in a shitty household, watching my moms parade of different men come in and out of our apartment. It was literal hell for me, up until that one night.

My mother was a high school dropout and a waitress at some sleazy bar. That's where she met my dad, Carlos. He was three years older than her and a meat delivery man. At 17 she gave birth to my brother. At 19 she had me. When was 23 my dad abandoned us. And a whole year and three months after that, Eva was born.

Ana was never the loving type of mom. She made it a point to remind my brother and I how lucky we were that she didn't give us up to the system. Mom of the year that one. The state gave her money and benefits for us so, of course she wasn't gonna get rid of us. Then Eva was born. Her dad stuck around for a few months and as soon as he left, the love Ana had for her third child, disappeared overnight.

That was my shit show of a life. I remember how envious I was of Alice and her mom. Like me Alice didn't have a dad. He too had left. But the difference was that her mom loved her completely. Addison was a wonderful mom. She spent so much time with her and teaching her things. I always hated how lucky she was.

If there's one thing that my mother taught me, was how to work a man. I saw her do it all the time. Ana would put on her tightest and shortest dress, nicest heels, curl her hair, her makeup and spray perfume. She'd leave the house like that no matter where she was going. And most of the time, she'd come back home with a man.

God, I hated that woman. Still do. But one thing I will always thank her for, is my looks. When she was younger, she was beautiful. Both Eva and I got lucky with that.

When I turned 14 my body changed a lot. I remember having to use my moms bras because I outgrew mine. She took notice real quick and wasn't happy with my changes. But that's also when her lovely company took notice of me as well. Most of the time the men would just stare at me, some would attempt to converse but that was it. It wasn't till I turned 15 that it started to become a problem. My brother was hardly home and the men knew this.

Oscar was one of my moms actual boyfriends. He was also eight years younger than her. And he couldn't get enough of my mom until he laid eyes on me. Ana was furious when she noticed that he was attentive with me, jealously was driving her crazy. That was her first mistake. Accusing me of seducing him. And sleeping with him was her second mistake.

"He's mine you, hear me!" Is what she told me, after furiously barging into my room. Her eyes were red, like she had been crying. "I will put you out in the streets if you try any business Zoe! Do you hear me!?" She'd said through gritted teeth.