12. Secrets Whispered By Firelight

Leagues of forest and fields rolled beneath Inutaisho as he flew through the air. Traveling in this insubstantial form allowed him to avoid detection by demons and mortals with spiritual powers. Engaging in unnecessary conflicts did not interest him, especially as the more time that passed the greater his fear of not finding Layla in time.

The warm summer air buoyed Inutaisho aloft on a rain scented breeze. The ominous clouds on the horizon promised a storm. Which made finding Layla even more urgent.

He sank lower toward the water, sweeping around a sharp curve in the land. Smoke curled up from a cluster of small huts along the river's edge. The fishermen were mooring their boats to the bank for the evening.

It was growing dark. The further Inutaisho traveled the more familiar his surroundings became. Soon he approached the border of the Western Lands where he once ruled.

Left to Sesshomaru, the lands would have languished in disrepair were it not for Inutaisho's loyal vassals. His son was more interested in proving his power in battle than ruling.

Inutaisho did not expect two centuries to have altered Sesshomaru's thirst for dominance or perspective on leadership. The boy was far too much like his mother Inu-Kimi.

Thinking of his former wife caused a shudder to run through his insubstantial body. That demonness was cold as ice and unnecessarily cruel. Their arranged union bought peace for a time and had gifted him a child. After Sesshomaru's birth they parted ways.

Centuries passed before he found love in Princess Izaiyoi's arms. The memory of her gentle voice and warm smile caused a painful ache in his chest.

Now a second chance for happiness lay within his grasp. A woman out of time with a bold disposition and flame bright hair.

Inutaisho skimmed across the surface of the river. Though they knew their lord was gone, Inutaisho's vassals still maintained the dignity of his legacy by keeping a prosperous stewardship. Every settlement he flew over appeared prosperous and in good repair.

Inutaisho had not yet notified his vassals of his return, unwilling to commit to ruling again, not knowing how things would turn out in the conflict with Naraku. Never had a half-demon proved himself a greater nuisance.

He banished Naraku from his mind, refocusing his awareness on his surroundings. Skimming over a stand of plum trees he nearly missed spotting his quarry.

Beyond the plum trees a lone oak on the edge of the riverbank. Tangled in the oak's protruding roots Layla floated near the shore, her red hair a beacon in the gathering darkness.

Swooping down Inutaisho transformed into his humanoid form. She was terribly still. Gods don't let her be dead.

Afraid of what he'd discover, he lifted her out of the water and laid her on the bank. Her skin was deathly pale from being in the river for hours. "Layla?"

She didn't respond.

Pressing his fingertips to the side of her neck, Inutaisho felt a faint pulse. She was still alive. Relief like nothing he'd ever felt before surged through him.

Inutaisho pulled her into his arms, bracing his hand against the nape of her neck. By some miracle she hadn't drowned. He thanked all the gods above Layla still lived.

Rage had blinded him in the battle. Because he failed to notice Naraku's minion he nearly lost her.

Resting his forehead against hers, Inutaisho closed his eyes. He truly was a failure as a suitor.

Thunder rumbled overhead. Wind rattled the branches of the plum trees carrying the scent of the approaching storm.

Mouth compressing into a tight line, Inutaisho summoned a cloud beneath his feet and went in search of shelter. He was still some distance away from his castle when the sky opened in a downpour.