31. Wedded Bliss

The celebration went on for hours. People ate, drank, laughed, and in some cases danced. A few times Layla almost swore she saw a figure in white at the edge of the banquet area but when she looked there was no one.

At the bride and groom's table a wide array of Western cuisine was available for Toga and Layla to pick at. Now, that the stress of the ceremony was over, Layla was ravenous. She ate a plate of pasta stuffed with cheese and spinach, a pile of green beans.

Toga dropped his fork several times, unused to modern silverware. Layla steadied his hand and fed him a bite of her pasta. He seemed to like it, so she scooped a large helping onto his plate. She shifted on her cushion anxiously, looking at the position of the sun.

Sunset drew near as the sun dipped below the trees, casting long shadows on the grass. One of the villagers lit paper lanterns, hanging them in the trees. Layla covered Toga's hand where it rested on her knee. "What do you say we go somewhere more private?" She murmured.

Toga's eyes lit up, scenting her arousal. She had been restless for hours, their bond vibrating with longing and need. "I am willing to arrange that, my lady."

Resting her chin in her palm, Layla laughed. She glanced sideways at their friends who were just as jubilant as everyone else. Worn out from the excitement, Rin was fast asleep nestled between the front paws of the two-headed dragon Ah-Un. Jaken stood guard beside his charge, resting against his creepy staff.

Helping her stand, Toga led Layla across the field. A few people glanced their way, but no one bothered them as they wove through the hulking figures of the tents to reach the edge of the forest.

Her pulse pounded in her throat as she saw the orange glow of the paper lanterns strung through the lowest branches of the trees. It must have taken Kagome and Sango hours to accomplish this. Layla marveled, as they followed the glow of the lanterns to a large tent in a secluded part of the forest.

Red rose petals were scattered at the entrance and through the foliage Layla spied the steam of a hot spring.

The tent flaps were tied back, allowing the couple to enter their private haven unimpeded. Luxurious furs and pillows were scattered around the floor, littered with more rose petals. Elegant gossamer drapes were tied back from the bower, creating an intimate space for the newlyweds. Candlelight flickered from every flat surface; the scent of beeswax fragrant.

Clasping her hands against her chest, Layla was swept away by the romantic ambiance. "Kagome and Sousuke did a great job. This is perfect!" The sensual setting, she desired for her wedding night.

Toga watched his mate explore the space, transfixed by her smooth and elegant movements. The easy sway of her hips. The gentle curve of her breasts against the silk kimono. A strand of hair had fallen loose from her elaborate updo and curled against her cheek. She stroked a small black box on the vanity table, her expression gentle in the reflection of the mirror. "So...we're finally alone."

"Indeed, we are." Toga closed the tent flaps, his motion slow and unhurried.

Anxiety suddenly twisted through their bond sharp and painful tangled with the sweet heat of her lust. Layla was nervous. Toga inched closer, resting his hands on her hips from behind. "Beloved, what do you fear?"

She bit her bottom lip and looked over her shoulder at him. "I'm not afraid exactly. I'm just suddenly nervous about our wedding night. I know it's silly when we've already shared a bed but I am."

"Never trivialize your emotions, Layla. What you feel is important to me." He stroked her sides, wanting to soothe her. "Can you tell me why?"

Turning around in the circle of his arms, Layla looked up at him from beneath her lashes. "We're married. Sharing a bed...means more now that we're married." She glanced furtively at the file of furs. "We're committed. I...am also worried about my powers. What if I singe you in the heat of the moment?" Releasing an exasperated breath, she tucked the stray lock of hair behind her ear. "I know I'm not making any sense."