32. The Final Battle

A spider the size of a mountain emerged from the purple mist, crushing trees, its legs speared the ground gouging deep trenches in the earth. The villagers fled, the encroaching mist desiccating every square inch of greenery in its path.

A screamed clawed at Layla's throat. She loathed spiders. "Don't tell me that's Naraku."

"It is." Toga replied.

Layla pinched the bridge of her nose. Of course, it was Naraku. "You didn't think to mention he could turn into a giant freaking spider?"

"I did not know."

Toga was remarkably calm. Layla supposed if she could turn into a giant dog demon, she'd be calm too. Unfortunately, she did not have that luxury. So, like any human-sized person she was petrified by the monster charging across the field, bulging eyes rolling and mandibles clicking.

She shuddered.

Inuyasha and the others rushed to meet Spider Naraku. The half-demon drew Tetsusaiga, demonic energy already gathering around the sword.

An eldritch wind carried their voices up the hill to Layla and Toga.

"I'll get him with the Meido Zangetsuha!" Inuyasha yelled, brandishing his sword.

Miroku raised his staff to block Inuyasha from advancing. "You can't use that technique before we get the Shikon Jewel. Otherwise, the jewel will be lost to the netherworld."

"Damn it!"

Layla observed the violence unfolding with the same morbid transfigurement someone reserved for a trainwreck. Spider Naraku had reached the demon encampment, his poisonous fog billowing over the tents. Some of the demons began to melt, the flesh sloughing off their bodies in clumps as they fled.

Nausea brewed in her belly like a violent storm. Many died screaming in agony. Tears welled in her eyes. They were partly to blame for this, inviting the demons to their wedding when they knew Naraku would attack at any time.

Layla gripped her husband's arm in a vise grip. "I need a bow."

"Layla, no bow will make a difference against Naraku." Toga objected, the gold in his eyes dim.

"It will if I imbue my arrows with my power." Her mouth curled in a grim smile. "Faerie magic is toxic to demons remember?"

Layla's stubbornness vexed Toga greatly. Could she not see how dangerous this was? Even with her faerie blood awakened one touch from the poisonous miasma would destroy her.

And him.

His hands curled into fists, claws biting into his palms. "Heed the monk's warning. If you were to strike the jewel, which possesses a powerful demonic aura, it could have disastrous consequences."

"Toga, I can do this. Have faith in me." She said softly, loosening her grip on his bicep to reach for his left hand. She pried his fingers loose from its fist and tapped his wedding band. A pointed reminder of their relationship as equals. "You and I will provide aerial support, keep Naraku away from the villagers."

A figure in white joined the battlefield, beside him a small imp. Toga's other son had arrived.

Toga's lips compressed in a tightline, still reluctant to agree. With Sesshomaru here, it might be possible.

Gazing down at his sons, both proud and strong, Toga realized this was not his battle to win. Naraku was Sesshomaru's and Inuyasha's prey. If his sons were to achieve their full potential, he could not take the lead as much as he may desire to.

The cold hard truth settled like a stone in the pit of Toga's stomach. He curled his hand around Layla's. The woman he vowed to protect. If she entered the battle, his place was by her side.