Sakura Arrives

First, we open with one of Toga's letters. Then Layla goes into labor and Toga learns how difficult it can be to be a woman. I know you were all waiting for this 😉.

Beloved,

I am coming to terms with our separation. As time passes, I have come to accept the only way we will reunite is for me to endure the centuries. I have battled incomparable foes, disease, and famine and emerged victorious. However, being apart from you is the most painful thing I have endured. I did not expect that. I pray to the gods you are safe and well. Stay safe, my lady, until we reunite on the other side of time.

Yours forever,

Toga

Toga waited for the kettle on the stove to whistle. As he was standing there, he felt the oddest sensation of something giving way followed by a large amount of liquid evacuating his body at once. He braced himself against the stovetop.

"What's the matter?" Grams watched him curiously from the dining table. He was making the tea for her.

Toga switched the kettle off. "I'm not sure."

The elderly woman pushed away from the table. "You're looking a little pale. Maybe you better sit down."

"I'm-" An intense pain seized his lower abdomen. "-fine." He wheezed, swaying on his legs.

Grams took him by the elbow. "Stubborn man." She led him to her chair. "Do you want me to call a doctor?"

A female voice cried out in pain from the bedroom.

Toga gritted his teeth as another spasm wracked his stomach. "Give me my phone from the counter. Layla's in labor."

The woman dropped the phone into his hand and rushed to help her granddaughter.

Toga's fingers shook so violently, he fumbled to dial his son. "Sesshomaru, we need Lady Chiyo to come to the cottage. Layla has gone into labor."

"Father, what's wrong with your voice? Are you injured?" Sesshomaru asked, sounding faintly concerned.

Toga doubled over. "Hurry." He growled, then hung up.

OoO

"Grams, is it supposed to hurt this much?" Layla whimpered, clinging to the elderly woman's hand as another spasm seized her.

"I'm sorry Layla-Bug. I wish I could take the pain away." Grams retracted her hand leaned over and fluffed the pillows behind her head. "Hang in there. The baby will be here before you know it."

"Not soon enough for me!" Layla drew up her knees toward her belly reflexively trying to ease the pain.

It didn't work.

"Toga, you bastard! This is all your fault! Get in here now!" She yelled toward the open door.

Less than a second later, Toga stumbled into the room, his sandy beige complexion gray. Before he reached the bed he dropped to the floor.

Another contraction seized Layla at that moment, so she had no time to lay into him. "I need morphine! Let's go to the hospital!"

Grams dabbed Layla's sweaty forehead with a damp washcloth. "We can't take you to the hospital. How would you explain your skin glowing?"

"I don't care! I need drugs!" Layla snapped, batting the rag away. By all that is holy, it felt like fiery knives were stabbing her belly! She struggled to sit up.