15. Father and Son

"Master, I implore you not to do anything rash." Myoga wailed, clinging to a strand of Toga's hair as he leaped out the window of the study into the courtyard. He raced across the grounds ignoring the shouts of a group of servants who pointed at the thick cloud of gray smoke rising from the eastern side of the castle.

The coppery tang of blood was so heavy in the air Toga could almost taste it. Whatever had happened there were casualties.

Before he attended to anything else, Toga needed to make sure Layla was safe. He followed her scent to his private chambers where he found her lying on the tatami mats dazed. Mixed in with her lavender, honeysuckle fragrance was the powerful sandalwood of Sesshomaru's own scent.

Myoga leaped from his shoulder. "I'll wait for you in the hall, master." The little flea demon vanished to give the couple privacy.

Toga's mouth tightened as he turned Layla over onto her back. Her robe was in disarray, the front gaping enough to reveal the inner curve of her left breast. Sesshomaru's scent was strong on her body. He had touched her.

Toga's inner beast raised its hackles in anger at his son's audacity. He tamped down on the rage, not wanting to frighten her. "Are you hurt, my dear?"

Layla blinked slowly, coming out of her fog. "I think...Sesshomaru saved me?"

Toga recoiled in shock. "He did?"

His son despised humans. What would bestir him to save one?

Sitting up, she nodded vaguely. The knot of her hair came loose, falling in fiery coils around her shoulders. She pulled the collar of her robe closed, biting her bottom lip. "When the explosion hit, he grabbed me by the arm and threw me out of harm's way. I don't think this part of the castle is damaged, thankfully."

Toga grabbed her by the shoulders urgently. "Did you see where he went?"

Layla pointed a shaky finger at the open doors. "He walked out." Shaking her head, she gazed down at her lap. "Sesshomaru is a lot more intimidating than I expected. I still can't believe he protected me."

Neither could Toga but he was grateful for his son's uncharacteristic generosity. He cupped Layla's cheek in the palm of his hand and gently pressed his lips against hers in a chaste kiss. Her lips were soft and silky as a rose petal and just as enticing.

Layla melted into his arms, her soft curves molding into his body as she deepened the kiss demanding more. Her softness welded to his strength. Her hand crept between them, tugging on his obi playfully.

Smiling against her mouth, Toga captured her wrist in an unyielding grip and pulled her hand away. He could not fault her for the attempt. Her daring nature is part of what had drawn Toga to her from the beginning.

Layla's breath hitched in her throat as he pulled away. The small sound caused his blood to ignite with desire.

Toga squeezed his eyes shut tightly, reining in the impulse to pin her to the floor and explore every single inch of her body. His inner beast urged him to claim her, to make her his.

The more logical part of Toga's brain urged him to extract himself from the room quickly to attend to his duties before he engaged in ungentlemanly behavior.

Unaware of his internal struggle, Layla smiled up at him a bit wickedly. "If you greet me like this all the time, I think things will work out just fine between us." She traced a pattern lazily on his chest. "That was one hell of a kiss."

"I am glad you are safe, milady." He dragged a finger along her jaw, the gesture so possessive her eyes darkened with need. "Now, I must see to the safety of the castle."