18. A Well-Placed Arrow

In Toga's company the days crept by at a lazy pace, each moment a gilded treasure etched in Layla's memory. For soon they would have to leave the peace and tranquility of the castle and reembark upon the quest to slay Naraku. She wanted to savor every honey-drop of happiness, every kiss, every casual touch.

Swiping a bottle of sake from the kitchen under the disapproving glare of the castle cook, Layla plunged through the courtyard, darting across the floating path to the pavilion, heedless of her kimono hem sliding across the surface of the water.

The lotus blossoms bobbed on the mirror-like surface of the pond, fragrant petals plucked from the wisteria tree by a fickle breeze, showering her with colorful detritus.

Looking handsome and regal, Toga lounged on the floor of the pavilion on a pile of pillows with a distant gaze, his long hair rippling like white silk over his shoulder. He wore a royal purple robe decorated with cranes and flowers; the collar of his inner kimono gaped open showing a strip of bronze chest.

Layla's heart sped up at the tantalizing glimpse of muscled flesh. It was the most skin she'd seen of his since that night they spent at the inn, and he lounged shirtless on the floor. Her mouth watered as the picture took center stage in her mind.

The scent of Layla's fragrant arousal drew Toga out of his thoughts. He hardened at the naked desire on her face. Shifting his legs to hide the bulge between his legs, he motioned for her to sit beside him. "Please join me, milady." If his words came out a bit strained, she didn't appear to notice.

"Gladly." Layla chirped, flinging herself onto a pillow beside him. She rolled onto her side and wiggled a small, fluted sake bottle in front of his nose. "Let's share a drink."

A bead of sweat rolled down Toga's temple as he tried to focus on what she was saying instead of his inner beast roaring at him to claim her and make her his. He released a slow breath to steady himself.

"Come on." She wiggled the bottle again for emphasis.

"Is the hour not early for a drink?" He inquired.

By the position of the sun, he calculated it was only late morning.

Sighing in exasperation she rolled her eyes. "We're celebrating."

"What are we celebrating?"

"Us, of course!" She poured a stream of alcohol into two shallow cups, extending one to Toga.

He balanced it carefully in his claws and tipped the cup against his lips. The burn of alcohol burned pleasantly down his throat.

After a second drink, Toga's beast subsided, coiling up inside the heart of his demonic energy. The more time they spent together the harder it was to resist temptation.

Layla traced the rim of the sake bottle, her expression turning thoughtful. "Why do you think Asahi is taking so long with the faerie knife? He should have sketched those symbols out days ago."

This was a problem Toga could concentrate on. "I cannot say. He has sequestered himself in the library and will speak with no one."

"Perhaps he needs some persuasion." Layla tipped the bottle over her empty cup, her cheeks already rosy from drink. "I can be persuasive." She said in a husky voice.

Toga stiffened, the thin cup shattering in his fist.

Eyes wide, Layla stared at the fragments scattered on the floorboards. "Are you alright?"

It wasn't like the demon lord to be so clumsy. Did she say something wrong? The last thing she wanted to do was hurt his feelings. Layla reexamined her words to him carefully, but nothing stood out as offensive.