22. Cornered

Peering around the corner of the building, Killian drew his companion up short when he saw the small figure heading in the red-haired woman's direction. He clenched his jaw, teeth grinding as he held back a curse.

His companion snickered. "Don't tell me you're scared of a kid? You can dispose of her easily. Of course, you might screw up the timeline, but who cares, right? You already did that by blowing up the forge." The small silver and gold hoops in his pointed ear glinted in the sun.

Killian narrowed his eyes against the glare and his friend forcibly swallowed his laughter. Screw up the timeline? He doubted it. None of the demons had perished to his knowledge. He returned his focus to the child, trying to come up with a solution.

Children were rare among the fey. To kill one is a grave crime. Layla is all that mattered here. He did not travel through centuries to let her slip from his fingers. Already she proved to be a grand nuisance. 

If not for a tip from an odd fellow in a baboon pelt he might never have never located her and failed his mission. That one was as tricky as one of the fey. 

 Layla never should have been able to time-travel in her condition, bound as she was. Troublesome girl. Pressing his long-tapered fingers together, a devious plan began to take shape in Killian's mind. "Perhaps, we can use this to our advantage."

His companion drew a dagger from his belt and contemplated its serrated edge lovingly. "I hope you know what you're doing, Killian."

He held up a finger, ordering his friend to wait. Killian dropped to a crouch, hand resting on the hilt of his sword, his glamour billowing around them both to conceal their presence.

The fey waited for the perfect moment to make their move.

*************************************************************************************

A breeze ruffled Layla's hair, carrying the scent of flowers and the sharp tang of petrichor from last night's storm. She still felt him inside her, the sensation of his mouth ghosting over her skin a visceral memory, the glint of mischief in his eyes as he made love to her.

The desolate feeling lingered as Layla's tears subsided, a bitter reminder of how fast things could flip on a dime. With the sleeve of her yukata, she dried her eyes and blew her nose. Her skin was hot and swollen from weeping. Part of her yearned to chase after Toga and apologize but she had done nothing wrong.

His accusation continued to ring hollowly in her ears. Of how she did not trust him with her heart.

Funny, how the world taught women to always take the blame even when they were guiltless. She would not grovel. Not for this. Her heart belonged to her. If she decided to share it, that was her decision, not Toga's.

The soft pattering of small feet yanked her forcibly out of her misery. Layla lifted her head to see Rin skipping cheerfully across the porch, her toad demon babysitter noticeably absent. She was surprised Sesshomaru allowed the kid to move around the castle unescorted with so many demons in residence.

"Lady Layla!" Rin waved at her excitedly.

Layla sniffed, a gross snotty sound and plastered a smile on her face, pretending she was glad to see the kid when all she wanted her to do is go away.

There was no hiding the fact she had been crying so she tried to deflect attention away from herself. "Where are your shoes?"

The kid hopped to a halt before her with a sheepish grin. She wiggled her toes. "I don't really like them, Lady Layla."

"Oh." What could Layla say? She wasn't Rin's mother and didn't have the right to scold her.

Rin peered at her closely, noticing her swollen nose and splotchy skin for the first time. "Why are you sad? Did something happen?" She plunked down beside Layla without an invitation. "When I'm sad or lonely I pick flowers or sing a song about Lord Sesshomaru." Kicking her legs back and forth she gazed up at the sky. "I'm sure if you ask grandfather can make you feel better."