New Guest

The Duke was bored senseless doing the only thing he could do without moving his giant body too much. He had a small kitchen set up with the ingredients for his recipe with arms reach. A small table folded for meat cutting as he slapped a bundle of fish on it with a skinny knife. He was a master at his craft despite his appearance slicing through the fish and vegetables with ease. He heard a gate open and looked up to see me and Donna hold a conversation as she held Angie within her arms. She didn't need the doll to speak to me anymore, but rather have Angie speak as her own being. The Duke called out in a loud voice.

"Hello there Mr. (L/N)."

Turning my head I saw him and smiled excitedly.

"Duke!"

The Duke chuckled and waved a hand over. Donna saw me run up ahead and she quickened her walk to keep up. I stopped in front of his shop and observed the small table.

"You made me food? You shouldn't have." I joked.

"Unless you procure coin I am willing to share a helping with you and...Mistress Beneviento?" The Duke turned to Donna puzzled. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Donna stared with wide eyes. She never met the Duke before so she didn't know how to react other than turn to me for help in what she should say. The Duke noticing her silence cleared his throat.

"Forgive my manners Ms. Beneviento. Call me the Duke." He tried making a bowing gesture.

Donna stared and bowed in kind.

"So what are you making anyway?" I asked observing the meat.

"A fine exquisite dish known as Sarmale de Peste." He stated. "It has such a wonderful effect on improving stamina among the locals ever since the right herbal ingredients have been added to the original recipe. It dates far back than to when the first founders had discovered this land."

Donna seemed enthralled at the small description. She seemed easy to impress it seems.

"How much for some grub?" I asked him.

"400 lei please."

"Alright. Oh wait." I recalled. "You still have my bag right?"

"Ah yes." He pulled out a giant bulging sack full of coins. "Do you wish to spend some from your stock?"

"Yes." Donna looked at me in a pleasing expression. "And some for Donna as well."

Angie tugged my leg and held out her wooden hands in a cup formation. I looked at the doll and shook my head.

"Oh come on you're made of wood. You don't even have a digestive system."

The Duke chuckled and prepared more of the dish. Once he let us converse as he cooked he let out a small whistle signaling it's readiness. The aroma of the cooked fish filled the air causing my mouth to water.

"Please. Enjoy." The Duke handed me and Donna each a plate and a fork. "Time to dig in."

We thanked him for the meal and one bite of the cabbage-rolled fish had me delightedly humming. Donna as well also enjoyed her meal as she ate slowly.

"You definitely should become a chef. Make some more coin or even just teach me a thing or two." I spoke taking another bite.

"My services aren't free you know." The Duke chuckled. "I am available for such an offer however, so do come again."

Seeing me and the Duke converse the way we did had a smile on Donna's face. A giggle came out of her mouth having me and the Duke pause. Her laughter grew louder until she stopped revealing her beautiful smile to me.