Chapter 1

A/N:

For those who haven't already, I highly recommend reading Center Chase prior to reading this book. To those who have already read Center Chase, welcome back. I'm so excited to bring you Jenna Taylor and Tanner "T.J." Levine's story. 

This book does start timewise prior to the start of Center Chase. I wanted to make sure you got to see how these two met and how their relationship got started. The story POVs will be written using Tay/T.J.'s given names, not their nicknames. So, Tay will be written as "Jenna" and T.J. (stands for Tanner Joseph) will be written as "Tanner"- there is a reason for it, and it will be explained in the book. 

**This is the unedited version, final edited version is available on Amazon.**

:)     Without further ado, here's the story you've been patiently waiting on. I hope you enjoy! 

Tanner

I can't believe it. I am no longer a member of the Chicago Empires professional hockey team. My old team was great, full of talent and decent management, but they wanted to bring in some new blood and couldn't afford my contract and the price for the new guys' contracts. So, they opted to work out a trade that was mutually beneficial to the team and me. My agent made sure I got the best-paying contract with the best team- the team that I've wanted to play for since I got out of high school.

Now, I'm going to be playing for the New York City Cobras. They're one of the best in the league, and they wanted me to play for them- not that I'm surprised. I am one of the best right-wingers in the sport right now. When other teams heard Chicago was looking to trade me, I had so many teams begging me to come play for them. They wanted T.J. Levine to draw fans to the stands.

You see, I have a bit of a reputation, both on and off the ice. I'm good at what I do. On the ice, I put pucks into the back of nets, win fights, keep the crowds entertained, and fill seats in the stands. Off the ice, I fill tabloids, draw in a lot of female attention, and refuse to get tied down. I was known as the 'playboy of Chicago' during my time playing for their pro team, and I have no doubt I'll sink into the role of 'playboy of New York' in no time. So what if the stories exaggerate the number of my exploits? It's not the quantity that matters; it's the illusion that I've built up to bolster my reputation. It's what the fans want, it's what I want, and I see no reason to change a good thing.

I moved into my new apartment last week and have taken my time unpacking and getting settled. It's nothing crazy, one bedroom, one bathroom, nice kitchen and living space. There's a private elevator that I only have to share with three other units. And according to the building manager, two of the three occupants are gone more than half the year for work. It's great for me. Having MIA neighbors means I won't have to play friendly and get to know them. That's not really what I do. Outside of my management team and friends who are also pro-athletes, I prefer not to get too involved with people. I learned a long time ago that the more people you let in, the more you're bound to get hurt.

My parents taught me that. They never wanted a kid, so when Mom wound up pregnant with me, I ruined their plan for their lives. They were always happy before I came along. At least, that's what Dad always told me. According to Mom and him, I was never wanted. I was a mistake- a burden. They didn't really love me or want me in their lives. I spent all my childhood working my ass off to make something of myself- to make them proud. Everything I did was never good enough, though. Then, I was drafted right out of high school into the pros, that's the day things changed. Mom and Dad became more attentive after that. They showered me with affection and whispered everything I always wanted to hear from them- that they were proud of me, that they loved me.