Chapter 20

Jenna

I'm waiting at the gate for my flight home after a long week in Vegas. It would have been so much more enjoyable if it hadn't been for Max. The jerk somehow found me at each event and couldn't help but plant himself right next to me the whole time. Dealing with him was exhausting.

The only reprieve I got was when I left to see Mom and Lance. Max sure as fuck couldn't follow me there. Because I was so mentally worn out from dealing with Max, I hardly had the capacity to figure out my shit with Tanner. By the last day, I finally just said screw it and decided to stop avoiding him when I get back. I'll figure out what's going on between us when I return.

I'm texting Lindsey back when I hear the last voice I want to hear coming up behind me. "Jen? You're on this flight too? Well, isn't this fun?"

Fucking son of a bitch! I can't catch a fucking break. I thought this asshole took an earlier flight.

I curse under my breath as Max moves into the open seat next to me. "You know, I'd say we should get dinner when we land, but I already have plans."

Good for you dickbag. "Congratulations."

Max moves his arm, so it's resting on the back of my seat. "It's with your new hotshot right-wing."

Okay, that's a surprise to me. I didn't think Max would actually manage to bag a meeting with Tanner. I try not to look shocked. "Okay, good luck with that, Max."

Max is about to respond when my group is called to board. Thank God! I don't spare Max another look before racing away.

Please, if anyone out there is listening, please don't let that asshole have the seat next to me.

Luckily, when everyone has boarded, Max is seated several rows behind me. Far enough to make it impossible for him to try to speak to me without pissing off some of the other travelers. And my neighbor is fast asleep in the aisle seat. Even if Max were ballsy enough to come up here, I have an excuse not to talk to him. I'd hate to wake my row mate up, after all. I've never been so grateful to a fellow traveler before.

~

When I arrive home, I'm greeted by Lindsey. She asks how my flight was, and I tell her about my run-in with Max at the airport. She knows my history with him. So, it's no surprise to me when she starts cursing him under her breath as she dances around the kitchen, getting things ready for dinner. I excuse myself to go shower and wash away this crazy day.

When I'm all fresh and clean, I hear the boys have arrived home. I greet them and take a look at what Lins has prepared. She cooked a freaking feast! It looks so good; I can't wait to dig in.

We all catch up on how things went this week. They tell me everything that I missed here and ask how the conference was. I fill them in on everything that happened in Vegas, including the shit with Max.

Liam and Chase input their two cents about him and offer to rough him up for me if he won't back off. I laugh it off and tell them I can handle Max. Then, I update them on Mom and Lance, letting them know that Mom said they can come to visit any time.

Toward the end of dinner, they remind me that we have a couch crasher for a while. Shit, I forgot about that. I'm glad I decided to stop avoiding him. There's no doing that now.

All the drama with Max made me completely forget that Tanner will be living with me for the next week or two. I'm really going to have to keep my composure while he's here. Not that it will be easy when he's staying on our couch and showering in our bathroom, naked.