Chapter 3

Jenna

I try to shake my encounter with Tanner from my mind as I make my way to the conference room to see what Liam's big emergency is. He's set to have a photoshoot today with the AthletaWear photographer to promote a new line of athletic wear. Everything was arranged weeks ago- I made sure myself. So, what could this emergency possibly be?

I reach the conference room and find the door wide open. When I look inside, I see Liam pacing back and forth and the photographer, Sebastian, nodding as he listens to someone on the other end of his phone. I know today's shoot was supposed to be co-ed. AthletaWear is set to release both the men's and women's lines next month. So, today's shoot was going to feature Liam in the men's line and one of our female models in the women's line.

There's just one problem- I don't see our female model anywhere. Shit! If we don't get this shoot completed soon, that's going to set back the launch date, and my bosses will not be happy. Maybe our model is just late.

I knock on the door and make myself known. Liam whips his head around and faces me. I can see a hint of relief in his eyes. "Fuck, Tay! Thank God you're here!"

I walk over to Liam and eye Sebastian as he finishes his phone call. "Yeah, Chase said you had an emergency. What's going on?"

Liam huffs out a sigh and runs his hands over his face. "She didn't show. She's not coming."

Son of a bitch! "What do you mean, she didn't show? She just bailed last minute?"

Liam shakes his head. "She called a little while ago. There was some family emergency, and she couldn't make it to the shoot today. Seb has been calling around trying to find someone else, but everyone is booked on such short notice."

He gives me a pained look. "Tay, I can't reschedule soon enough to make the launch date. We have to do this today, or the line won't release on time."

Fucking shit!

I know these things happen, but fuck if this isn't a huge pain in the ass. I start cursing under my breath as I wrack my brain, trying to figure out a solution to our problem. We can't use just any model. The upper management at AthletaWear is strict about who we can and can't use. They only let us use models contracted with us who have been through the rigorous background check and vetting process. Since we work with pro-athletes, they don't want some crazy fan who's good with faking a resume to get paired with one of our clients for a shoot like this. That means when something like this happens, we're very limited on who we can use for a substitution.

We can't just shoot the men's line and do the women's line later. That would cost time and valuable overhead- the bosses would be pissed about that. The only thing we can do is reschedule and push back the launch date. Dammit! The owners aren't going to be happy about this either.

I press my fingers to my temples. I feel a headache coming on. This day just keeps getting better. I should have stayed in bed and told Chase to practice jersey-less today.

Someone clears their throat. I look up to see Sebastian standing by Liam. His hands clasped in front of him. "I think I have a solution."

"Oh, good! What is it? Did you find a replacement model after all?" I ask.

Seb grimaces. "Well, no, but hear me out." He holds his hands out in front of him. "We need to get this done today to stay on schedule, right?"

I nod in agreement as I narrow my eyes, trying to figure out where he's going with this. How can we possibly get the shoot done today if we don't have a model?

Seb eyes me warily. "We all know we can't just hire anyone to be a stand-in. We have to have someone already contracted to work with AthletaWear."

I nod again. "Uh-huh..."

Where is he going with this?

He looks over at Liam, who sends me a pleading expression. Oh, hell no! They can't be serious!

Seb must sense my panic because he quickly continues, "You could stand-in for the female line. You're already an AthletaWear employee. The clothes would look incredible on you. And we can get this done today if you help us."

They have lost their minds. I prefer to stay behind the scenes for a reason. There's no way I'm getting paraded in front of a camera while someone plays dress up with my body. That kind of thing makes me feel like an object being put on display. It's the kind of thing my ex, Max, used to do- show me off like a trophy like I was just another thing to brag about. "Are you crazy!? There's no way! Even if I said yes- which I haven't- we'd have to clear it with Nick. And I know for a fact he's in meetings all morning."

Nick is our boss at AthletaWear. He's a pretty cool guy, very laid-back. So, I have a feeling if he were presented with our predicament and asked about using me as a substitute model, he'd okay it in a heartbeat. Lucky for me, he's busy all morning with meetings.

Feeling satisfied with myself, I send Sebastian a smirk which he quickly returns. "I managed to catch Nick in between meetings. I ran the idea by him, and he thought it was the perfect solution to our problem."

Oh, fuck! I feel my face fall. I know I'm trapped now. There are no more excuses I can use. And as hard as I try to find some other solution- any other solution- to our problem that would allow me to stay behind the camera instead of in front of it, I come up empty. Dammit.

I try to accept my fate as Seb continues trying to make this situation less traumatic for everyone. "He said he'd give you a $1,500 bonus for doing the shoot. And I have $500 in AthletaWear gift cards I can give you. Please, Jenna. We need you."

Damn, how can I say no to that?

Seb and Liam team up in front of me; both are leveling me with pleading looks and puppy-dog eyes. "Please help me, Tay. I need you," Liam practically begs.

"You owe me so hard after this, Liam."

He replies, "I know Tay! Thank you so much. You're the best!"

Seb steps in with a huge grin. "I have the clothes in that bag. The outfit order is on the sheet inside the bag. You do know how to skate, right Jenna? The shoot is out on the ice?"

Liam answers for me as I roll my eyes at Seb. "You know who you're talking to, right, Seb? Of course, she can skate."

He's not wrong. My parents taught both me and my brother, Justin, to skate as soon as we could walk. Being out on the ice is second nature to me. My thoughts drift to my brother- man, I miss him. Before I can stroll too far down memory lane, I snap back to the present.

I grab the bag of clothes and head out to change, "I'm keeping the clothes after this too, Seb."

I hear him chuckle as I leave to room to get changed.