Chapter 41

Tanner

We won! We are the champions!

Now, we can finally let ourselves relax. That last period was terrifying, but we pulled it off. Out here on the ice, all you can see is confetti, and blinding lights as all of the boys congratulate one another on the huge win we just earned. I feel another thud against my side as Drew and Rob catch me in a bear hug, their excitement evident as they shout praise at everyone over the roaring crowd.

We did it! We fucking did it!

I congratulate a few more of the guys as I try to make my way to the edge of the rink. I only have one person on my mind right now. Jenna. I want to share this moment with her to celebrate this fantastic feeling with my girl, but the crowd is thick with reporters all itching to get a statement from the new champs. I take a second to scan the seats again, trying to lay eyes on my girl, but it's no use. There's too much going on out there for me to find her quickly.

As I make my way through the crowd, I continue to be showered with congratulations. Fans and reporters huddled around us, making it nearly impossible to escape. It's exciting, exhilarating even. And it feels terrific knowing we just won the cup, but the only person I want to see right now is Jenna.

I continue slowly making my way off the ice when I see Chase down on one knee, holding a ring. 

Holy shit!

That guy knows how to end the season with a bang. Lindsey is crying and nodding her head. 

Looks like she said yes. 

I look next to Lindsey and see a head of dark hair belonging to the person I've been looking for. She's beaming at the newly engaged couple with glossy eyes. She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I stop for a moment just to watch her, to see the happiness continue to grow on her face as her friends mark this milestone.

As if she senses my gaze on her, she turns my way and grants me a glowing smile. It's the same one that keeps me going, the one I yearn to see each and every morning and night. I'm tempted to go to her and kiss her senseless, privacy be damned, but before I can make my move, I'm swept away with the rest of the team to the locker room.

We have a brief celebration in the locker room just as a team, complete with even more hugs, high-fives, and words of praise. Coach takes a few minutes to deliver a speech, telling us how proud he is of all of us and how he couldn't have dreamt up a better group of Neanderthals to coach than us. Even Rusty gave us a small speech full of congratulations. He won't admit it, but the fucker got a little teary-eyed as he was delivering his praise. I really couldn't have been blessed with a better group to play with than this one.

Fuck, I'm one lucky bastard.

We finally started returning to Earth as the initial high from winning sank in. We got cleaned up and changed and decided what we should do to celebrate as a group. There was minimal debate, and it was agreed that our celebration tonight would be at the karaoke bar.

~

Everyone has come to the karaoke bar for our victory celebration, even Coach and Rusty, who never come out. The place is packed to the rafters and as rowdy as I've ever seen it. Fans and family alike are showering us with tribute as we walk into the building. Besides the crowd, the first thing I hear is Queen "We Are the Champions." I chuckle as I make my way to one of the open tables, saved just for us.

We aren't just celebrating the big win on the ice tonight. No, we're also celebrating Chase and Lindsey's engagement. No one on the team saw that coming, well, except Liam, who knew it was happening today. Even so, we couldn't be happier for them. Anyone with eyes can see that those two are endgame.