Chapter 53

Eight months later...

Tanner

It's been several long months since I was released from the hospital. I've missed nearly an entire season of hockey at this point, but today I got the best news! Dr. Mullaly and his team have finally given me the go-ahead to return to the game!

Of course, my return comes with strict guidelines and several stipulations, but I get to return to the game that I love. My check-ups and scans have all been clear since my discharge from the hospital so many months ago. And I've had no adverse side effects or complications that would indicate any underlying issues related to the injury I sustained in the accident.

After the six-month mark, Dr. Mullaly cleared me to start practicing with the team again. His big rule for my return was that I sit out and immediately get checked if I was on the receiving end of a hard hit. He wants to proceed with caution even though my scans look normal.

I can't say I blame the guy. It still baffles me that I walked away from the whole incident unscathed. They say miracles happen when you least expect them. Well, I'd say this was mine, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Everything that's happened in the last eight months has been an insane adventure. Max pled guilty in front of the judge and was sentenced to fifteen years in prison. The prosecutor wanted more time on Max's sentence, but the sentence was reduced since he cooperated and agreed to go through psychiatric rehab.

No one was happy about the light sentence, but at least he's paying for what he did. And for the next fifteen years, we know he's locked away where he can do no harm.

What's the saying? Make lemonade out of lemons? Well, this is our lemonade, it's sour, but it'll have to do.

On the lighter side, things with Jenna and me have only gotten better. There's no doubt in my mind that she's it for me. I couldn't imagine a more perfect woman if I tried.

She stuck by my side through the accident, my bout of unconsciousness, and my long 'recovery' period afterward. Most women would have bailed at the first hint of uncertainty, but not my girl.

She's the strongest person I know. And I'm proud to call her my own. Each and every day, I fall for her a little more. It's easy to love her, and she makes it look easy to love me- something I once thought impossible.

Jenna has taught me so much in the time that I've known her. She's shown me that I am valued, worthy of love, and deserving of great things. Because of her, I'm a changed man- a better man.

Long gone are the days of Tanner 'playboy' Levine. These days, I'm a one-woman kind of guy. And man, what a woman she is!

I can't imagine my life without her. Now, I'm not running down the street to pick out rings or anything yet. But I'm open to the possibilities that life has for us. Right now, I'm just happy to have such an amazing woman by my side. She tells me every day how happy I make her. So, I must be doing something right, yeah?

Speaking of rings, Chase and Lindsey have been hard at work planning their wedding. Jenna and Mel have stepped in to help with the finer details, making sure the lovebirds' day is perfect.

A few months ago, they moved out of the apartment into a new place close by. They wanted to start married life in a place of their own. So, with their room vacant, Mel moved in, and so began the room shuffle.

Since I was practically living with Jenna anyway, I moved in too. Their place was bigger and nicer than mine, so it just made sense. When Chase and Lins moved out, Jenna and I moved into their old room, leaving Jenna's old room for Mel.