Chapter 8

Jenna

As I sink into a seat in front of my gate inside the airport, I breathe a sigh of relief. For the next week, I'll be in Vegas, visiting my mom and her boyfriend. I get one week away from the city. One week away from work and all of my clients. One week away from him- Tanner Levine. The man who has become the bane of my existence as of late. Not because he makes ridiculous requests at times like some of my other clients. No, it's because he's so frustrating in other ways.

He's arrogant, cocky, and over-confident. He seems to have made it his mission in life to get under my skin in any way possible. Every time I see him, I have to brace myself because I know he's going to say or do something that's meant to rattle me. I know what he's trying to do- he thinks he's playing a game that he can win. He wants to see if he can bed the woman who's been deemed 'off-limits' to the guys on the team.

He thinks his charm and good looks will win me over. Tanner truly believes that if he spends enough time wearing me down, I'll give in and give him what he wants. Hah! Good luck with that, buddy! My resolve is unmatched. I've been able to resist his tactics so far- even when he stripped down nearly naked in front of me. Yep, I held strong when that happened- didn't lose my composure once!

Okay, that's not true. But I tried really hard, and I was eventually able to put my mask back on. He didn't shake me- much. Nope! And I definitely haven't been fantasizing about him late at night, thinking about how little room there was left in his boxers that day or the way he says my first name. I haven't had to hit the gym longer than usual to release any extra tension. I'm totally fine- not at all sexually frustrated. Nope, not me!

I let out a ragged breath. Fuck, what is it about this guy that gets so under my skin!? I've dealt with guys on the team hitting on me before. When Drew, Rob, and Damien first made the team, they were some of the biggest flirts- they still are today. But even they didn't manage to rattle my cage as Tanner has.

He's got this raw masculinity and sheer confidence that speaks volumes to my vagina. She wants what he has to offer, regardless of the fact that he's a total player and an ass. She's making it very hard to keep things professional around him. Just the sight of him makes me ache.

Why is it that vaginas are magically attracted to the 'bad boy'? I just don't get it. They're like siren calls for female genitalia.

It doesn't help that he's filled several of my dreams lately. And I can't look at the glass around the rink the same, now- not since I woke from one dream in particular. It may have involved very little clothing, and my back pressed up against said glass as he pounded into me. I'm not proud to admit it, but that dream has been replaying in my head over and over again for the last several days.

So, yeah, this trip is very much necessary for my sanity. I think a week away from him will do me a lot of good. Maybe I'll be able to reset, tighten up my defenses, and make it easier to resist his flirting when I return.

Yeah, that's all I need. After this, I'll be better able to resist his suggestive banter. And when I return, he won't have any effect on me at all.

Uh-huh, totally.

~

I land in Vegas around 2 PM and meet my mom and her boyfriend outside in the pick-up area. Mom is beaming when she sees me.

She runs up and pulls me into a tight hug. "Oh, Jenna! It's so good to see you! We've missed you so much!"

I return the hug before I reply. "I've missed you guys too!"

When Mom finally releases me, I turn to the side and see her boyfriend, Lance, patiently waiting. He gives me a bright smile before stepping forward to claim his hug. "Hey, Jenna. It's good to have you back."

I squeeze him tightly. "It's good to be back."

When I let go, Lance picks up my luggage and loads it into the car. As we head to their house, Mom starts telling me about everything I've missed since the last time I visited. Apparently, one of our neighbors moved to Italy a few months ago. She wanted to follow her dream of running her own winery and surround herself with handsome Italian men. Her husband had an affair a few years ago with his assistant, and they had a nasty divorce. I guess she wanted to do something romantic with her portion of the divorce settlement. Good for her!

One of Mom's friends became a grandma, and she just loves doting on her new grandbaby. Another friend found out that her son got accepted into med school. "You know, Janice said he's single. He's still very handsome." Mom gives me a sly grin.

Not even to the house yet, and she's trying to set me up. I laugh to myself and shake my head. Lance comes to my rescue, though. "Oh, let her be, Elena. I'm sure Jenna doesn't need our help finding a boyfriend."

I send him a grateful smile through the rearview mirror. He bobs his head slightly in reply and changes the subject. He asks how things are going at work and what's new with the team. I tell him about everything going on at work and the changes that have been made to the team. I make sure to only briefly mention Tanner. I don't need my first day in Vegas to break my plan to cleanse myself of all thoughts related to him.

~

Not long after, we pull up in front of Mom and Lance's house. I smile fondly at our front door, thinking back on all the memories that have been made here over the years. I hop out of the car and grab my purse as Lance carries my luggage inside for me, even though I insisted I was more than able to do so myself.

After settling into my old room, Mom and Lance offer to take me to dinner at our favorite steakhouse. They have the most tender cuts of meat and the absolute best rolls I've had in my life. I agree to dinner in a heartbeat and quickly get changed out of my travel clothes.

It doesn't take long for us to get to the restaurant from their house, and luckily we don't have to wait too long to be seated. After putting in our orders, I look up at Mom and Lance. They both have a strange look on their faces.

"Are you guys okay? You both have a weird look on your face," I tell them.

Mom looks at Lance and smiles. He beams back at her and nods his head. Mom turns her head to face me. "Honey, we have some news. We're getting married!"

She pulls out her engagement ring and places it on her finger. Then, she lifts her hand so I can get a good look. "We wanted to tell you in person."

I feel tears start to well up in my eyes. I'm so happy for them. Mom and Lance have been together since I was eighteen. They met at one of my brother's hockey games a little over a year after my dad died. Lance was there with one of his friends. They were cheering on the guy's son, who was a teammate of Justin's. Mom and Lance hit it off right away and became fast friends. A few months later, they started dating.

I was always grateful that Mom had him in her life. I never wanted her to be lonely, especially when I moved to New York for my new position with AthletaWear. And I will be eternally grateful for him for being there for Mom and me when Justin died. During all that, he was Mom's rock, her pillar of support. He made sure she didn't succumb to depression and heartache. Lance kept her spirit alive. He reminded her that she had so many reasons to keep on living.

I wipe away a rouge tear. "I'm so happy for you two!"

I stand up and walk around the table to give them both a huge hug. All three of us stay like that for a few minutes, embracing one another and letting our tears of happiness fall. When we finally regain our composure, I head back to my seat and ask them about the wedding plans they've made so far.

It makes my heart so happy to see them so in love. And I'm glad that they've decided to get married. I've always considered Lance a father figure. He was always so good to Justin and me after he and Mom met, and them taking this next step solidifies that even after tragedy, it's possible to love again. For a long time after Dad died, she swore that she would never marry again- that she would never love again. I'm so happy that Lance showed up and changed her mind. I can only hope to be so lucky one day.