13 - The First Mission

~TW: KIDNAPPING~

A blast of freezing air is the next thing I feel. Frost slowly disappearing from the glass in front of me as I come back to the main consciousness. Darkness fades back into the dreary room of the base.

I'm still tied to the back of the chamber, the cuffs freezing around my wrists. Once the glass was fully raised, the chains were released and I tip forward, being caught by two of the Agents.

They pull me back over to the chair in the middle of the room and begin talking to me. At first, I was confused, and not because they were speaking in Russian, but because I could understand it. All of it. Before all of this, I could speak and make sense of some of it, but only basic words, phrases and sentences.

I'm thrown against the freezing cold leather and the metal bands capture my arms and head once again. Intense amounts of electricity scramble painfully through my body again. My blood curdling howls of pain speed around the base as the agonising bolts race through my body again. Sharp rising and falls of my chest continue for a minute or so after before finally settling. After this, I'm dragged into what looks like a mission prep room- hundreds of weapons hang on an armoury wall, a lit-wall wall shows the date and an objective.

DECEMBER 10TH 1987
APPREHEND AND TERMINATE

I'm handed a black suit, a fake ID, a sheet with two unfamiliar faces on it, and a couple of knives and pistols. The photos go as follows - the first one was a young-looking woman, maybe in her early 30's or so, straight red hair stopping at her shoulders, and deep green eyes. The second photo is of a very young child, possibly around three, with similar hair and eyes.

"You'll travel with Agents Petrov and Agent Nikitin. Pick up the girl and leave the mother to Petrov and Nikitin." Moriarty informs, his badge saying 'Lipovsky.'

"Yes, Sir." I nod, taking the equipment and changing my clothes. My fake badge and ID say 'Nikolay Lebedev.'

I walk back out into the main room and follow Petrov and Nikitin into the cars.

~~~~~~

We drive a few hours into Stalingrad, where the snow falls peacefully along the streets. Aside from the roaring car engines, the city is completely silent. The night rolled in and no one is around which will make the mission easier.

When we arrive at the location, I climb out the back of the car, and check both left then right before shutting the door. The house is a quaint, rundown place, table enough to hold a few people. Vines run up the walls covering the cracks. It's a bungalow-built house, surrounded by a damaged wire fence.

Petrov and Nikitin wait by the car as I knock on the door and wait for an answer. I was assigned to come up with a fake idea as to why I'm here so it could be believable.

"Good evening," the woman says as she opens the door, "can I help you?"

"Hello, Ma'am, my co-workers and I," I point to the car, "are advertising a new program from the government-"

"I'm not interested." She interrupts sternly and tries to slam the door but I put my foot in the way.

"Ma'am, if you just-"

"Out of the way, Lebedev!" Nikitin shouts, running to the door and shoving me out the way.

"Do your job!" Petrov yells at me. The other two tackle the woman to the ground as I search quietly through the house to find the girl.

"Natalia?" I call out, hoping I'd get a reply. Soon after, the girl creeps into the hallway. Short, natural red hair sits on her shoulders, green eyes standing out from behind strands of the hair. She wears a rag looking t-shirt with baggy jeans.

"Hey, kiddo," I whisper, crouching down to her eye level, "you see those men over there? They're taking your mother somewhere safe. You need to come with me so you're safe too, okay?" She stares at me with her innocent emerald eyes, fear clearly there. Suddenly, her mother begins to scream and the girl begins to become panicked.

"Hey," I say, placing my hands over her ears until the screaming stops, when it does, I take them off, "I'm going to make sure you're safe."

"You promise?" She mumbles with a sweet voice.

"I promise, and I never break promises." I nod.

"Pinkie promise?" She holds out her hand.

"Pinkie promise." I shake her hand before picking her up. She buries her head in my shoulder as I walk back to the car. I place her on the left side of the backseat and I sit on the other side. Petrov and Nikitin are in the front driving us back to the base. When we got back, I took the girl over to the Red Room registration room and waited patiently with her.

"Where are we?" She questioned, tugging at my sleeve.

"Your new home." I tried to smile.

"Natalia Alianovna Romanova?" Madame B asks as she strides into the room. Natalia look up at me, fear back in her eyes. I give her an 'it'll be ok' look and she shuffles over to Madame B. B nods to me and I head back into the main base.

"Well done, Agent." Lipovsky says, standing next to Judas, who is actually 'Volkov.'

"Thank you, Sir."

"Not bad for your first mission, and you succeeded in killing or injuring a total sum of no one at all. Unlike the other two half-wits." Lipovsky sighs.

"Is the mother dead?" I question.

"No, she's in hospital. Our hospital anyway. We'll clear her memory of the recent events and release her when she's healthy." Volkov replies.

"Razvedchik!" Petrov shouts walking over. 'Razvedchik' means 'Scout' and is my nickname.

"Sir." I nod.

"You're assigned to the Red Room for a week, take care of Romanova."

"Yes, Sir." I nod again before leaving for the Red Room registration office.

It was a simple looking room. A desk sat in front of a Red Room logo, Hydra logo and KGB logo which hung on the wall. Two leather couches sat opposite under photos of past Agents.

"Razvedchik." Madame B says to me.

"Madame B." I nod politely.

"Room 27, you'll find Romanov in there." She informs.

I smile and leave for the room. When I open the door, Natalia sees me and runs towards me.

"Hey, kid!" I chuckle as she wraps her arms around me and I pick her up.

"Where did you go?" She asks.

"I uh... I had to run a run a few errands."

"Why do they call you Razve... Razvedchik." She stutters.

"It's my nickname," I say, "but it's not my actual name."

"What is your name?" She tilts her head.

"You can call me," I pause for a second, "Nesti." ('Bear' in Russian).

"Ok, Nesti," she grins, "what's happening?"

"I'm keeping you safe, Medvezhonok."

"From the bad men who hurt Mama?"

"Yeah," I sigh, "from the bad men."