17 - The Avengers

The building I live in is on the outskirts of  the town, it's a small but liveable building. It's a few stories tall and I live on the top floor. Pietro informed that the rent isn't too bad, and that the Landlord would pay for my first month while I get some money for myself. I've got a job at a construction site to earn some money for a while- they were wondering how I could move the heavier things, but of course I couldn't tell them.

My part of the apartment isn't very big, but I prefer it that way. The kitchen and living room are in one, like a studio apartment, with a murphy bed for the couch and the bed. The bathroom is pretty small as well but that's fine. Wanda and Pietro got me a few decorations for the flat, a journal or two after I told them what I could remember about my past, along with a sketchpad and some pencils. The main windows overlook the bustling streets of Sokovia. People going between different market stalls and back and forth between town and their homes.

I change into my regular clothes - black jeans and t-shirt with a casual blue blazer - and head out into the market. When I get out the front door, Pietro is leaning against the wall and Wanda is talking to someone across the street.

"Mornin', Pietro." I nod, slinging my bag onto my back.

"Morning, English." He chuckles, throwing an apple up and down in his hand.

"That's a new one," I laugh, walking over to Wanda, "hey."

"Laurie, hi." She smiles.

The three of us head into the market so I could get a few supplies for the week. After, we wander aimlessly around the town, talking about our childhoods and how my previous life was very different to theirs.

"How did you get around to being with Hydra anyway?" I question, both of them going quiet for a few moments.

"When we were ten," Pietro begins, "Wanda and I were having dinner with our parents and the city was bombed."

"He grabs me and we hide, with one bomb still in sight," Wanda continues, "and one word painted on the side."

"Stark." Pietro says.

"Stark?" I question, "like Howard Stark?

"Yes."

"I know Howard from the S.S.R."

"Laurie," Pietro sighs, "Howard was killed in 1991."

"What?" I gasp softly.

"His son, Tony, took over the Stark Industries business." He replies.

"Wow," I sigh, a slight lump in my throat, "I really wanted to see him again."

"What was he like?" Wanda asks.

"One of the most intelligent people you'll ever meet," I laugh slightly, "yeah he would get distracted every so often but he had some brilliant ideas."

"We worked on the pod that Captain Rogers used for the serum," I trailed off into a different thought, "you know Captain America, right?"

"Yeah," Pietro nodded, "he came out of the ice two or three years ago."

"I thought he died."

"What do you mean?"

"I was friends with him growing up but I lost him on a mission."

"Laurie," Wanda says, "your friend is still alive."

"How?"

"He was frozen in ice for around 70 years and he's now part of the Avengers."

"Avengers?"

"A team of enhanced individuals, led by Tony Stark or the 'Iron Man.'" Pietro rolls his eyes.

"Who else is an Avenger?"